No announcement yet.

J-200 and Seymour Duncan wiring issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-200 and Seymour Duncan wiring issues?

I am about to replace the stock humbucker in my Model 6 with a new Seymour Duncan. Are there any issues with wiring a Full Shred in relation to the stock Jackson J-200 pickups? By that I mean, does the standard Duncan wiring code apply (red and white soldered together etc.) or will that give me an out of phase sound.

Also in regards to the J-200 pickups, I have been told that they are actually stacked single coils so they should operate hum free no? I do not have the Jackson mid-boost so I question as to how they will sound without it. Does anyone actually suggest that I go out and hunt one down? Are they that crucial?

Matter of fact right now the Charvel is wired ala EVH with all but the bridge humbucker disconnected.

When I bought it used it was a wiring disaster to begin with and there is the fact that I cannot stand those annoying individual on/off switches. Even with all of them “off” they tend to bleed a bit of signal into the amp. I suspect that one or more is “slightly” faulty. Could that be?

Given that I use the bridge pickup 99% of the time I am not sure I should even go to the trouble of wiring the rest of the pickups. Perhaps I should just plug those extra holes with those little black caps that electronics stores sell and leave it wired as is?

Keep in mind that this is not a mint Model 6 but is a “players” guitar.

Opinions or comments please?

Re: J-200 and Seymour Duncan wiring issues?

the duncan color code will be the same as the jackson hum you pulled out....
    if I am not mistaken the J200's are active and you need the jackson preamp/boost to drive them .
    not 100% sure, but I have never seen a j200 on a guitar without the jackson J1000 or J1200 active electronics.

Comment

The J200s are passive, but were designed to work best with the the Jackson low impedence active systems. Like John said, they were only installed from the factory with guitars that had an active preamp. Most people who have tried them without active electronics don't have much nice to say about them. What pots are in the guitar now? Do you have the original (50k, iirc) pots with the midboost disconnected, or do you have new 250 or 500k pots installed?

Comment

I have a new CTS 500k pot right now.

Seems as though I will just stick with the EVH setup that I have now given that I need a mid-boost to run those things.

Comment

To be in phase with the single coils, the Duncan's green wire will need to be the "hot" and the black + bare will be the "ground."
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I did some digging in a few of my control cavities, joes correct on the duncan wire swap....

stick a duncan aps-1 in the neck position, leave the mid pickup unwired and youre good to go...
            the aps-1 works awesome with a hot humbucker... especially if your cleaning things up a little.

Comment

Working...
            X