SLATQH inlay problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLATQH inlay problem

Is anyone having any problems with their SLATQH inlays coming up, or excessive amount of shrinking in their fretboards. I've had this thing repaired once already by a Jackson/Fender repair center and here I am a year later with the same problem. I keep the neck oiled at least once a month (being in Colorado, it's a necesesity due to the dry climate). I also run a humidifier on a regular basis. Any input would be greatly appreciated otherwise someone is going to get a hell of a deal on a USA Jackson for a project guitar!

Re: SLATQH inlay problem

Have you used epoxy to keep em down? I know sometimes inlays will rise up because the glue doesn't hold.

I'd be intrested in a project! PM if you're serious.

Comment

excessive amount of shrinking in their fretboards

This is what's causing the inlays to pop up.
      All of the inlays during the last repair were removed and re-glued.

Comment

This is interesting, I´ve never seen this problem on a USA Jackson...but them coming loose again is even stranger.....

I also would have recommended re-epoxying them in....

Wierd...

If Dogg passes, I might go for it s well [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

This is an odd situation, my 3 other USA Jacksons, I'm not having a bit of trouble with. I think it may just be this one particular guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            I keep the neck oiled at least once a month (being in Colorado, it's a necesesity due to the dry climate).

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in your dry climate, I wouldn't be oiling the fretboard once a month. This could be the source of the problem. I've worked on necks that were over oiled and it worked it's way into the fret slots and loosened the frets so IMO over oiling can cause the inlays to have the same problem. Just a thought.

I used to oil once a month as well and when I cut down to once a year (here in CT) it was just as good. every 6 months should be more than enough.
            "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

What about the fretboard shrinking?

Comment

Do you have fret problems, too, Donnie? If the fretboard were shrinking, wouldn't that cause fret issues, too?

I'm no expert, but - even in a very dry climate - oiling once a month sounds a bit excessive. The humidifier might be a contributing factor, as well. Overall, it may not be a bad idea. ...But if run too much, who knows?

Sorry, just trying to consider all of the possible factors.

Comment

The frets are not coming up, they're just sticking out from the side where the fretboard is shrinking. I have 3 other USA Jacksons and this is the only one giving me problems.

Comment

Are you absolutely sure the fret board is shrinking? Maybe the fret ends are just poping up? On my SL2T Chlorine soloist the fret ends are a little rough, but thats just the way it came from Jackson. Were the frets sticking out when you first got it? Can you shoot some pics?

Comment

Yup send me an e-mail and I'll send em over

Comment

Pics on the way to your e-mail

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Hi Donnie;

I have two SLATQH's and neither one has any issues whatsoever. I'm in Ohio so the climate may be an issue for you. Both of mine are the earlier, unfinished necks for what its worth. How old is your SLATQH? and have you contacted Jackson about this issue, especially if they fixed it once before for the same problem.

Rudy
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy,
                              Mine was built 06/13/2003. I have contacted Jackson and have not heard anything back from them. It's only one inlay and it's only on the bass side. My concern is the neck shrinkage. Maybe the reason why they went to painting the back of the necks was to correct the problem I'm having now.
                              I'm just disgusted on how an instrument in this price range has this kind of QC issues. Most of the people I've talked with think that maybe the piece of wood used for the neck wasn't aged/weathered long enough. Either way, it's on the selling block, so any interested takers can e-mail me an offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X