No announcement yet.

Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

Seymour Duncan schematic shows .047 caps with the 2 hum/2 vol/2 tone/3-way configuration. Other schematics available show standard .022 caps. So, which one would you recommend?
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Proper caps for a LP with Custom/Jazz?

What does Duncan show for the pots, 500 or 250?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

500K.

Comment

I thought Gibson used 250K tones with 500K volumes?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I thought Gibson used 250K tones with 500K volumes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have mentioned that this is my Epi LPC so I'm replacing all the electronics when I install the new pups. Here's the schematic. Keep in mind that I won't be using the coil split option. I'll just solder the red/white wires together and cover with heat shrink for both pups.

Schematic

Comment

Epiphone? Oh well that explains it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I'd probably go with Duncan's .47 caps.
            Then again, put a 47 on one and a 22 on the other and see what's what, y'know? It'd be an interesting bit of info for the rest of us who may be wondering the same thing.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Epiphone? Oh well that explains it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, I'd probably go with Duncan's .47 caps.
              Then again, put a 47 on one and a 22 on the other and see what's what, y'know? It'd be an interesting bit of info for the rest of us who may be wondering the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Yeah, yeah, I know, Epi, pffft. Why bother, right? It's a good guitar. Just makin it better. So, I need to be a guinea pig for you guys, huh? I was thinkin' that the 500k pots brighten it up a bit so the .047 caps were to offset that. I probably need to leave the thinkin' up to someone else. Thanx for the recommendation, though, Dr. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I had a .47 one time in an old Dinky with Tone Zone and J50N with 500k pots. It was pretty dark sounding until I put in a lower value cap like a .22 (I can't remember if it was actually a 22, but it was something lower and definitely made it brighter and a little better for me). I think 47s are usually more for bass guitars, but just experiment and see what you like better.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Yeah, Toe, I found out that 47's are usually installed in a bass and that's what made me question it. Did the darker tone translate into muddier tone?

Comment

Didn't really seem muddy to me, but the Tone Zone is kind of on the dark side to begin with, and the 47 was the only cap I had around at the time when I first put those pups in, but I really wanted a more usuable tone control and put in a lower value to brighten it up a little.

Comment

OK, I guess I'll take Newc's bait and buy both cap values and try them both. Given my choice in pups, I don't think the 47's are a bad choice, but it wouldn't hurt to experiment. Not to mention, I guess I should put some faith in SD and what cap they show to use but I have more faith in our JCFers so I hadda ask.

Comment

Yeah, you'll take our advice over Seymour Duncan's? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        You need to see somebody about that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Sad, huh? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Lemme see, sound advice from an established company in the music industry with years of practical experience and countless dollars spent on R&D or various opinions from certified lunatics? Hmmmm... decisions, decisions. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

If it helps, I don't have my certification yet, but I'm working on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X