Your favorite neck pup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite neck pup

What is your personal favorite neck pup on Alder boltons?

Please describe the sound a bit too,
    Thanks!

Re: Your favorite neck pup

SD JB most of the time SD distortion too. I have a very special set of Rolph's that smoke in an alder bodied guitar.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I use Dimarzio Virtual PAF in my alder body Dinky.
      I used to use Air Norton but thought it had more output than I needed so I got this Virtual PAF which had little less outputs but still nice.

As for Duncan, I like 59 I used to have it in a Strat Alder body.

Comment

DJM I chose a virtual PAF for my 2 hum 1 single strat project.Can't wait to hear what it sounds like.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i like the dimarzio evolution neck very much.
          it also has a good sound when you split the coils.

Comment

For a full-sized humbucker, a JB, Jazz, or Custom, depending on what I want the guitar to do.

For single-coils, again depending on the sound I want the guitar to have, I'll use whatever Fenders I can find for a "typical Strat tone", or a Lil59, JBJr, or Hot Rails (Bridge position model) for a hotter/beefier output, but Jackson J200s work nicely for either one as well.

A JB in the neck gives a nicely overdriven lead tone which can sound kinda "Stratty", and a crispy, jangly clean tone when split (splitting is highly recommended for cleans).
            A Custom in the neck also gives a nicely overdriven lead tone, but has a bit more bass than the JB and doesn't have that "Strattish" tone. Splitting is recommended for cleans, but it won't be as shimmery as a Jazz or a single. Unsplit, it's kinda raw and beefy. If you're going for jangly, you should split it.
            A Jazz in the neck gives a very nice overdriven lead tone, with just a hint of Stratness. Very jangly clean tone when split, and a nice punchy clean when not split.

Of course, that's how they sound through MY stuff with ME playing. Your results will probably be different.
            Your best bet is to swap pickups around and find what you like.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think Virtual PAF sounds killer with high gain amps like Engl and 5150.
              It has the perfect neck pickup sound to my ears.
              I have a Tone Zone in the bridge position and works great with it too.

Comment

I've always been fond of the Duncan Jazz in the neck, although I had a guitar with a Dimarzio PAF Pro that sounded more jazzy than the jazz, FWIW

Comment

nothin beats a jazz, imo. warm, creamy, and good.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Duncan STKS-1 or 59'!!& I've always loved a P-90 too!!

Comment

Another vote for the SD Jazz. String to string definition is absolutely amazing with this pickup.

Comment

My favorite neck pups are the DiMarzio Super 2 and the EMG 60. I tend to like brighter neck pups, they just sound more clear with less chance of getting muddy to me, matched up with a warmer pup in the bridge. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Single or hum, you mean?

For SCs, I'm a fan of the Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.2s. A close second is a Duncan Classic Stacked (STKS-1).

As to full-sized hums, I prefer the Duncan '59. Jazz's are OK, but sound flatter to me. I'd be curious to try a Pearly Gates in the neck position some day, as they're supposed to sound like a '59, but with better harmonics. I might like that, but no personal experience with it yet. I've also heard good things about the Dimarzio PAF Pros the the neck position, too.

Comment

I like having a single coil in the neck spot actually. There's just something about single coil neck tone that satisfies me.

As for humbuckers I've had a thing for the 59.. tried the Jazz and I liked that one too, both sound great but I've always just stuck with the 59. It was the first that I tried of the two, I liked it so I went with what works.

Comment

The two I use are the SD 59. Classic. Very versatile. The other may seem like an odd choice but I dig it. The J80c it has a warm bluesy tone I like. Not the most versatile pickup can only be used for certain moods or tones.

Comment

Working...
                              X