PUP's for Carvin V220?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PUP's for Carvin V220?

My 85' Carvin is way too bright for my taste.Made of all maple.Looking to tone it down a bit.Maybe a Duncan Custom custom?What do you guys think?

Re: PUP\'s for Carvin V220?

I tried a custom custom in a maple guitar once. It still sounded to bright to my ears. Try a JB, they sound good in everything.

Comment

I put a Custom Custom in a mid-'80s, solid maple-bodied Kramer Focus 1000 (Japanese version of the Baretta) and loved it. It was mounted directly to the body, EVH-style.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Try a JB, they sound good in everything.

[/ QUOTE ]
        Ewww, I wouldn't even attempt to put a JB in an all maple guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] I had one of those in my old mahogany body/mahogany neck Hamer Special that had a 3/8" maple top... that thing was pretty bright; it's mostly highs and high mids, definitely lacking low end. Maybe if you switch the pots to 250k instead of 500k it probably wouldn't be as shrill.
        If you really want low end and low mids, I'd suggest a Duncan Invader. I had two Invaders in my old Kelly and thought they were very nice without getting muddy, though it was either an alder or poplar body which are tonally similar and warmer than maple.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Duncan Invader eh? hrmmmm i'll put that on my list.thanks,.the JB would definalty be too bright.

Comment

how about maybe a X2N?

Comment

Tone Zone..........
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Tone Zone..........

[/ QUOTE ]

how does a Tone zone work on an all maple axe?

Comment

A Tone Zone would be nice, too. It's got lots of low mids and bass. Not as much power as an Invader, but still has a good amount of output.
                  The X2N is also a really nice pup, close to the same amount of power of the Invader, but it's got a little more treble and might be just a little too bright in maple. It definitely was a little too bright in my old poplar Model 5A but sounded fine in my old plywood Kramer and alder Warrior MG.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X