Pickup choices???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup choices???

Ok, I have to change the bridge pickup out in my Jake Blueburst. It came with a JB and I tried to like it, but had to take it out. I put in a ToneZone and I like that and I’m leaning to put that back in. (I took it out to try a PAFPro, I can’t handle the sound of it in this guitar anymore)

Here’s what I have on my shelf right now.

SD Alnico Pro IIn (I liked it in the neck of my LP)
    SD JB (Don’t like this pickup in this guitar)
    SD Screamin’ Demon (thinking this pickup will be too bright in this guitar)???
    DiMarzio ToneZone (what I’m leaning towards)
    DiMarzio PAFPro (pulling this one out)
    Gibson 500T (pulled from a LPClassic)
    Gibson 498 ? (“”)
    Ibanez (stock pickups from an early ‘90s RG570)

I’m thinking of trying the SD SD in it, but if I remember right that PU is very bright and I’m thinking I won’t like it. I guess I’d like some comments from you guys before I just throw the TZ back in.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Pickup choices???

None of the other pick-ups are going to be similar to the TZ. If you liked the TZ I would put that one back in.

Comment

If the JB wasn't too bright in that guitar (you just didn't like it for another reason) then the Demon shouldn't be too bright either. It should be a little more PAF-ish with a bit more growl to it. WIth those pickup choices I would try the Demon first and if I didn't like it, then the Gibson 500T. But I tend to prefer ceramic magnet equipped pickups, personally.

Comment

What kind of sound are you looking for? It's hard to give any pickup advice without knowing the general tone...

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          What kind of sound are you looking for? It's hard to give any pickup advice without knowing the general tone...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I have the JB in a DK2 (Duncan Designed) and a TB spaced Demon in another guitar. The Demon is a lot brighter but the other guitar might be made out of maple. It's naturally very bright.

Personally, I like the DD JB in my DK2. It's smooth and powerful, and I don't have another guitar like it. I have a lot of Gibsons (2 LP's and 3 SG's) but they tend to sound brighter with scooped lower mids.

Comment

P90s!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I play a GMW Jake Blueburst, through a JCM800 with an overdrive out front. So what do you think? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pretty much whatever that setup can do I play it. (Correction I try to play it.) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks guys,

Jason

Comment

Well I put the SD in last night and I really like the rhythm tone I get. It sounds damn good. The lead tone is a little whiny and thin. I just wonder if I need to crank it some more or if there is a way to adjust it out?

Jason

Comment

SD = super distortion?

Comment

By SD I assume you mean Screamin' Demon.

Put the TZ back in, if you liked it! Or, if you're up to it, put a ceramic magnet into the JB, preferabbly an oversized one. That'll turn it into a Distortion, which I personally prefer over the JB.

Comment

Yeah SD = Screamin Demon. I really do like the rhythm tone I'm getting with this pickup, now it's just the lead tone. I'm going to tweak on the amp and pedals a little and see what I can do. It may be something I have to grow to like. It's either that or back to the TZ.

Jason

Comment

The Duncan Designed JB and the Seymour Duncan Jb are two different beast. The Designed JB seems to be muddy, while the real JB actualy should brighten it up and bring some life to the DK-2.
                        The Screamin' Demon is probably one of my favorite pups, and should not be as bright as the JB.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          The Duncan Designed JB and the Seymour Duncan Jb are two different beast. The Designed JB seems to be muddy, while the real JB actualy should brighten it up and bring some life to the DK-2.
                          The Screamin' Demon is probably one of my favorite pups, and should not be as bright as the JB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too, so I bought a real SD TB4 on ebay. Pulled out the Demon and through in the TB4 so that I could compare head to head against the DD TB4. To me, it sounded the same as my DD TB4. To different guitars, however.

I think people say the DD's are muddy becuase of the 250K pots killing the brightness.

I put the Screamin' Demon back in, and it seems brighter to me, but I use 500K pots.

Comment

I removed the Duncan designed out of a DK-2, and replaced it with a JB. Adjusted the pup height, and there was a noticable difference with the JB being brighter (500k pots).

Comment

Working...
                            X