fingerstyle vs. picking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fingerstyle vs. picking

As a guitarist now playing bass in my current gig, I can't figure out the fascination/attitude with playing fingerstyle.

I like the pick tone. Lots of kick ass bassists that I really admire use picks. As a guitarist, using the pick is much easier, although for 99% of songs I use fingerstyle. I need a pick for Good Times, Bad Times. But I play Black Dog fingerstyle, even though JPJ uses a pick on that song.

The only reason why I play fingerstyle is because of the overall negative vibe of using a pick. But I'm really wondering why I don't just say "fukk off" to the purists and switch whole hog to using a pick. Can someone enlighten me?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Re: fingerstyle vs. picking

For rock, metal, and punk, picks can be great. I'll use one from time to time, particularly if the song has a lot of repetitive "chugging" parts. Don't use them for anything else I play, though. They don't really fit, as the attack is too strong, and lines don't flow quite as smoothly.

Comment

i think it depends on the individual song. i play fingerstyle on slower songs. it calms the attack and the notes sound rounder and fatter. on faster songs i'll use a pick. it tightens the attack and gives the bass more prescence.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

When I first started playing bass...a lot of bass players told me that fingerstyle bass playing held a lot of "status" with bassplayers. It was a connection to the upright bass, a reflection of the fact that the bass is part of the rhythm section and you can get percussive sounds, and it was more of a challenge to do. I started listening/playing thrash and using a pick for some songs was essential. Now I do both, but mostly fingerstyle just because I'm used to it. Bottom line is, do what's good for the song and don't worry about anything else.

Comment

Ah yes, the fingerpicking vs. pick dilema!
          As a guitarist who does both on guitar, it was rather easy to adapt to bass. But I've heard about that nose snuffing from the real bassists. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

There is an easy peasy solution, though you may have to deal with looking strange.
          Grow fingernails on your picking hand. You get the best of both worlds... but are always fingerpicking. Use your nail when you want a more defined attack, use the pad of your finger when you want to keep it smooth.
          That's what I do, works for me at any rate.

Granted, them bass strings can be murder on your nails. So if ya break one and need a pick- then get over the "taboo" and whip one out. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          Who cares how you play as long as you love what you're doing?

Rock on. Goodluck! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Em

Comment

Picks can be cool for a brighter, punchier attack, and also help make it easier for guitarists to play. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I dabbled in bass years ago, but I used to primarily use a pick. Nowadays, I'd probably use just my fingers. I'd love to be able to use just my fingers and play as fast as Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse... that guy's fucking insane!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great thread + responses. Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

Granted, them bass strings can be murder on your nails.

[/ QUOTE ]

No joke. I play classical, and the five can be hell at times.

Comment

i use both.. a pick for a hard attack, and fingers for percussive play..

just use what the music calls for..

Comment

my friend is a great bass player and uses fingers only. a huge webster fan as well! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

both have equal value...

there is things that you can't execute with a pick...when fingers become essential ...fusion / funk / jazz...slappin and a tappin'..

But for a straight foward metal styles...especially riding over a double kick..I find that using a pick is better..much more articulate IMO.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have the complete opposite problem. I have always been "just" a bass player and only used finger style. Holding a pick feels like I have feet where my hands are. I wish I had devoted more time to getting comfortable playing with a pick. Anyone who rolls their nose at pick players is a choad. Bill is right, both have equal merit, their place and contribution in different styles of music.
                        "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

Many great bassists have used picks. Even more great bassists have not. Playing well with your fingers obviously shows that you have achieved a greater level of *technical* proficiency than someone who uses a pick; especially on a five or a six string. Ultimately, however, this does not matter. What matters is choice of notes and how well your lines hold the song together.

Mike Gordon, bassist of the now-defunct Phish, was a proficient six string finger player who actually switched from fingerstyle with roundwound strings to using a pick with flatwounds. He's probably the only bassist in the world who does that! But, he did it because he likes the tone more. I don't think he gives a toss what anyone thinks. Like their music or not (I don't), he's a well-respected bassist, and how he makes the notes doesn't matter.

Having said that, when I started to learn bass, I didn't even consider using a pick. My heroes (John Myung from Dream Theater, Geddy Lee) use their fingers, so that is the path I chose.

I have played regular guitar for over 15 years, so I know how to use a pick. I actually grabbed one the other night and tried it on bass, and it just didn't feel right. But that's OK; I'm not playing punk or death metal.

Anyway, do what you want. Some may snub their noses at you, but it's what happens when they close their eyes and open their ears that's important.

- E.
                          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

if you want to use a pick, use it..

if not, then don't..

Comment

I've always found that using a pick is better for recording, while fingers are better live--but that's just me. The precise attack you get with a pick just seems to sit better on a recording, especially since I like to have a crisp sound on my recordings and actually be able to distinguish the bass in the mix.

Chris Squire is my favorite bassist, and he almost always uses a pick, so that's probably what influenced me. Geezer Butler, the archetypal fingerstyle metal player, now mostly plays with a pick on his newer material.

Comment

Working...
                              X