What happens if I block a Floyd Rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happens if I block a Floyd Rose?

If my Floyd Rose is blocked will I be able to switch tunings (say from E to Eb or D) without the bridge getting uneven or moving around?
    Also if your Floyd is blocked does it matter how many claw springs you have (2,3,4)?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Re: What happens if I block a Floyd Rose?

It depends on how your Floyd is blocked. If you have added blocks to both sides so that the Floyd can't dive or pull sharp, then alternate tunings won't change anything. The # of springs doesn't change anything is this set-up, you can even remove them. I know others have had success with this method, but I can't recommend it. I tried it and it worked for a short time. Then either the wood in the body and/or the wood in the block changed/compressed and one of the blocks fell out. What I recommend is adding a single block so that it can't pull sharp. Then you increase the spring tension so that the floyd is held tightly against it. Three springs have always worked for me in this set-up. If the bridge moves during bends, tighten the springs. This set up will allow dropped tuning without the bridge moving. If you decide to change string size or anything else that can increase string tension, you may have to tight the springs some more. I hope this helps, you may want to reference the tutorial on blocking a Floyd. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Very good answer!

Comment

I was only going to add a single block so that it's no longer a floating bridge.
        So if I do that can I still change tunings without having to readjust anything?

Thanks

Comment

And if I block my floyd in this fashion (1 block to keep it from pulling sharp) and add 4 springs, tightened real hard to keep the floyd from diving when bending, will floyd-abuse/extreme diving eventually cause the trem-claw screws to damage the wood they-re screwed in ?

Sorry for the newb. Qs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Rattojack - You can change your tuning without readjusting your bridge as long as you drop tune from standard. If you set your guitar up drop tuned, then you may have to adjust a bit to bring it back to standard. (tighten your springs) You may also have to adjust your intonation depending on how far you change it from standard and how picky you are.

Hellswrath - I believe in the long run you could harm your guitar if you set it up that way. Most people that block Floyds are trying to make them act like a fixed bridge. If you still want to use the floyd, you will have to attach your block to the body with glue or by some other means. White Elmer's glue seems to be recommended because it is easily removable if you decide you don't like it. At this point if you perform a dive bomb and release the bar, the sustain block will impact the block you glued to the body. You could glue a piece of felt to the block to cushion it a bit. So far this should work acceptably, just tighten your springs enough that the bridge stays put when you bend strings. The problem is when you add additional springs and increase the tension excessively. first, it would take a lot more effort to drop the pitch because you would be fighting the springs. When you released the bar, the sustain block would violently slam into the block attached to the body. If your block material was wood it could dent, this could change the angle of the bridge. At the least it could break the glue bond, which would cause the block to fall out when you used the bar, then the springs would yank the bridge extremely sharp, possibly causing more damage. I would recommend not tightening your springs anymore than necessary. Floyds were designed to float, extreme changes will cause problems. (bending, accelerated wear on pivot points, etc.)

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Alright, it seems i'll be O.K. then, cause I never release the bar at once, i always "bring it back" to normal and my block is already glued.

Thanks, for the info and piece of advice, sir !

Comment

Working...
              X