Which 7 string pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 7 string pickup?

Hey guys. I bought a JCM 900 yesterday and i realised how weak my 7 string sounds.

I've narrowed down these pickups:

Tone Zone 7
    EMG 707
    Duncan Distortion 7
    Evolution 7

Which of these would be best for a death metal sound but at the same time versatile for other styles of music?
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Which 7 string pickup?

I have never tried any of these listed above but I'd say if you want someting death metal but versatile for other stuff, You should go with EMG?
    I think gain can be added by a pedal.
    As long as the pickup has cleaner sound, it can do many things but when the pickup has distorted sound already, it would be harder to do other things like clean stuff.

Comment

My buddy put a 707 in his Schecter and it sounds really good. The only problem with the 707 is that its enclosed in the same housing as EMG uses on their bass pickups. It will not fit into a standard 7 string pickup route, but what i've heard of it, its worth the extra effort to get it installed.

Comment

Are you sure it´s not the amp that sounds weak? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

General consensus seems to be that the JCM 900s aren´t exactly the best amps Marshall ever made, and that the distortion is to "fizzy". And I agree with that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just an idea, Dunno what Amp you had before.

Comment

Ever tried an invader? I've never touched one, just throwing out an idea.

Comment

My personal preference is the EMG 707. They don't fit a standard route, though, so you'll have to have the guitar routed out. Mike (other guitarist in Division) has a JB in his Soloist 7 and is really happy with it. However, he and I like fairly different tones, so we'll both give you differing advice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            ...that the play is the tragedy, "Man"

Comment

I didn't like the Distortion - I traded the one in my Washburn Sonic 7 to Newc for a Duncan Custom.

I really think you have to be careful with hyper-powered 7 string pickups, as mud is just a touch away. I do like the JB in my Soloist (maple/ebony/alder), but I like the Custom better in the Washburn (maple/maple/mahogany).

The EMG 707 is my favorite EMG pickup, and they do sound very nice. For "real" DM tones, though, you'd need a 81-7. (Isn't the EMG 81 the official pickup of death metal?)
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

the 707 is my favorite EMG too, fatter than an 81, but tighter than an 85.

Comment

I just replaced the 707 in my 7-string Soloist with an EMG-81/7. A freakin' HUGE improvement! I found the 707 too bassy and with not enough 'lead voicing'--might work well for nu-metal, but the 81/7 is a lot better for death metal, which requires a sharper, brighter sound--and I've always found the 81 to be plenty versatile.

In terms of non-active pickups, I highly recommend either the Blaze Custom or the Duncan Distortion-7.

Comment

I'm waiting to get my Schecter 007 Elite that's got an H/S configuration with Duncan Designs. I don't think those pups will be staying very long, and I'll probably go with a Rio Grande set... Muy Grande bridge humbucker with a Tallboy neck single. I've heard nothing but great things about their pups. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Dimarzio Blaze Custom is a decent bridge pickup if you don't feel like routing out your guitar. I've also read that the Lundgren Model M's (used by Meshuggah) are supposed to be comparable to EMG 81-7's, but are still passive based and are normal sized 7 string pickups. They are a little pricey though (I think around $200 or so).

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'm waiting to get my Schecter 007 Elite that's got an H/S configuration with Duncan Designs. I don't think those pups will be staying very long, and I'll probably go with a Rio Grande set... Muy Grande bridge humbucker with a Tallboy neck single. I've heard nothing but great things about their pups. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard many good things. Too bad all of my 7 string already have good PUs in them...
                        Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Are you sure it´s not the amp that sounds weak? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

General consensus seems to be that the JCM 900s aren´t exactly the best amps Marshall ever made, and that the distortion is to "fizzy". And I agree with that [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Just an idea, Dunno what Amp you had before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. A seven string with a 900 doesn't add up. This amp was designed back before all of this dropped tuning was the rage, and it isn't EQ'd for it.

Comment

I also use my Jackson RR3 with an X2N in bridge tuned to B. The sound is alot more powerful and it's deffinatly not the amp that's weak.

Before i got the JCM900 i had a AVT50.
                            93 USA Soloist EDS
                            USA HT6 Juggernaut
                            Charvel DK24FR

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I also use my Jackson RR3 with an X2N in bridge tuned to B. The sound is alot more powerful and it's deffinatly not the amp that's weak.

Before i got the JCM900 i had a AVT50.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              You do know that pickup is VERY powerful, right?? That's why your amp sounds weak with other pickups. What pickup do you have in the 7-string now? Unless you get a 7-string Duncan Invader (or maybe an EMG 81 or 707), I think you'll be dissapointed in the output of other pups compared to the X2N. Call DiMarzio, maybe they'll make you a 7-string version of the X2N. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X