My solder won't stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My solder won't stick

Ok, I've soldered many pots in my time but I've just received a new pot from warmoth and for some reason, my solder will not stick. These pots have a golden tint to them opposed to the typical silver ones I use. The solder I have has the rosin core so it has the flex right in it. What am I missing here? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

thanks,

joe...
    www.godwentpunk.com
    www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Re: My solder won\'t stick

I've had a similar problem and I believe it's some kind of zinc plating or something. I found that if I sanded some of the "gold" off with fine grit sandpaper all was well. Give it a shot.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Maybe you need to scratch up the case a bit with a little sandpaper or something.

Comment

Heh, beat me to it. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

you need to apply some solder flux to the surface before you solder with tin...that way the the tin will be "drawn" onto the surface by the flux...it works great everytime.
          good luck,

- Rune.

Comment

sand the area. The solder has flux in it, you should not need external flux. I can tell you this after years of working in industry. For guitar wiring, you should never need more than your standard rosin core solder.

Comment

Yes, you definitely need to sand off the backs of those Warmoth pots. GREAT pots--love the long adjustable shaft. However, the coating will pose problems as others have noted. I use emery boards that you can buy in the supermarket (or bum from your wife / girlfriend). They are small and easy to work with on a small surface. I also suggest hitting the pots with spray-air and / or wiping the backs off with a cloth very slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol to get rid of the dust when you are done.

Comment

The sanding trick worked. Spent about 5 minutes with my 120 grit paper. Solder worked great then. My prepro now has a new concentric pot!

joe...
                www.godwentpunk.com
                www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

for me a little scratching with the solder-iron-tip and some flux always worked, but sanding can't be wrong too

Comment

I never solder the pots. I put a ring on the end of the wire and it goes over the shaft.

Comment

Working...
                      X