Should I give this a shot? Bad idea?:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I give this a shot? Bad idea?:

Right now I have two axes with me.. (one of which is out of commission for a month)
    My main axe (out for the month) I string up with 10s and tune a full step down from standard.
    My second axe, I also string up with the same 10s, but I have it in drop-C tuning... The drop format bugs me slightly.. sometimes I like it but I kind of like standard intervals..
    Would there be anything technically wrong with stringing this up with even heavier strings and tuning her down to two full steps below standard? I know I'd have to change the trem balance, but anything else?

Re: Should I give this a shot? Bad idea?:

Truss rod adjustment will most likely be necessary too. I wouldn't suggest it. It just takes too much adjusting. Even refloating the trem will be a pain in the butt.

Comment

Well I've re-adjusted the trem before when changing a guitar from standard 9s to full step down 10s...

yeah going 2 steps down and 11 is a bit far... I kind of don't like drop C format.. I don't really need to go that low so I think I'll probably go back to full D for this axe and do drop C on my tune-o-matic axe back at home when I get there..

Comment

Why not just play bass? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

nice one grandturk!

use 11's or 12's, tweak the truss rod, the spring claw, action, and intonation. and always make an adjustment and retune between each adjustment. (or else you'll never get it right)

be sure to stretch the hell out of the strings too.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

No risk in the sense of damaging anything (unless you´re Newc, I think even a Polishing Cloth is a lethal weapon in his hands [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] ). Just gotta redo the setup. I use 12-52 in standard tuning, and 13-60 for dropped C [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              No risk in the sense of damaging anything (unless you´re Newc, I think even a Polishing Cloth is a lethal weapon in his hands [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] ). Just gotta redo the setup. I use 12-52 in standard tuning, and 13-60 for dropped C [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]´
              I'm officially afraid of you now [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

Yup, I can polish the chrome off a trailer hitch [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I run 11-50's in Drop C sometimes, though prefer straight C tuning myself. 12's or 13's would work just fine depending on your preference regarding string tension. And like Zerberus and Rebel said, just do a setup (truss rod, intonation) and you will be fine. Of course, floating trems always make it more fun, and you may or may not have to add another spring to the cavity (depending on your floyd tension preference), but there will be no damage caused!

Comment

Working...
                  X