Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Floyd rose installation

Hi guys,

Ok I've searched and I can't find an answer to this question already in the forums..

One of my guitars has a JT580 tremolo which has blades and posts which are badly worn. I'd like to replace the whole tremolo with an Official Floyd Rose, but I'm not sure if this will be just a drop in replacement or will it not be that simple ? Thanks in advance !

Mark

Re: Original Floyd rose installation

yeh, i've asked this as well before and got no answer [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Ive had a DXMG that had the JT580LP replaced with an OFR, and replaced the JT580LP on my DR2 by an OFR with no problems, just had to swap trems, re-string and have a proper setup. And I'll do it again when I receive my RR2.

Comment

it was a direct drop in for me on this older DK-2 body

shawnlutz.com

Comment

How different is the 580LP compared with the 580 ? I know it is low profile, but are the dimensions essentially the same for the posts and string spacing etc ?

Comment

Forgot to mention that the tremolo is the JT580 Takeuchi, as shown on the Tremolo Info project page...

Comment

An OFR should replace the Takeuchi 580LP just fine. The biggest issue with trem swapping is usually with the rear of the cavity being too short for the longer OFR screws, but that particular 580 seems to have the same type of screws. Usually it's the shorter Schaller screws where you have the problem, because of the shorter recess cut behind the trem.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the info Newc !

Comment

Hang on, you said Takeuchi 580LP ? Did you mean the 580 non-LP ? Mine is the standard JT580 Takeuchi...

Comment

sorry to resurrect this thread, but i have another question regarding this, i have a ps3tl that i wish to fit an ofr on, i believe the trem on it at the moment is the jt580lp, because it has the shorter screws, but the cavity seems long enought to accomodate an ofr, can someone confirm this for me?

Comment

Like i said before in another thread, you can always cut the tips of the screws and re-do them with sandpaper/grinder/whatever....... that will make them short enough to fit the cavity on a performer series.
                      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Honestly dudes. DAFS

Comment

First of all...

[ QUOTE ]
                          Like i said before in another thread, you can always cut the tips of the screws and re-do them with sandpaper/grinder/whatever....... that will make them short enough to fit the cavity on a performer series.

[/ QUOTE ]

Besides that looking horrible, what do you do about the allen wrench holes or the point that fits into the string retainer block that you've just cut off?

[ QUOTE ]
                          sorry to resurrect this thread, but i have another question regarding this, i have a ps3tl that i wish to fit an ofr on, i believe the trem on it at the moment is the jt580lp, because it has the shorter screws, but the cavity seems long enought to accomodate an ofr, can someone confirm this for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

That tremolo is a JT500 it is in design the same as a Schaller Floyd Rose or JT590. I believe that the quality is a bit lower as different metals are used. In regards to replacing this tremolo I would probably just go for the Schaller Floyd because they're every bit as good as an OFR (Manufactured in the same factory) and you'll have the same style/design that you started with. But if you already have an OFR, I believe Stew-Mac has shorter string block retainer screws.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

> Besides that looking horrible, what do you do about the allen wrench holes or
                            > the point that fits into the string retainer block that you've just cut off?

You don't cut off the REAR end of the screws, you cut off just enough length off the tips so that they'll fit into the cavity. And then you re-do them so that they're like they were before, but just a bit shorter.
                            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Anyone ever replaced a JT580LP with a Floyd Rose Pro? I really prefer the low profile design and if the Floyd Rose Pro fits, you don't have to worry about the recess route...

Comment

Working...
                              X