Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs????

I honestly don't mind the synthetic pearloid fretboard inlays on my ESP/Edwards '68 Les Paul Custom lawsuit, and it's probably not worth replacing it with real MOP block inlays, but has anyone ever done this, and if so, how much did it cost? And where did you get this inlay replacement work done (websites please)? Just a curious wondering kind of question, that's all. Thanks!

Here are the inlays as they currently look, for those curious.

Re: Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs????

I don't have an answer for ya', but that is a very cool guitar.

Comment

Re: Replacing pearloid inlays with real MOP? Costs

Thanks! You can tell what it looks like from those closeups? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

You can get the inlay material pretty cheap from Grizzly Industrial, and have a local luthier do the work. It's odd to see this kind of stuff in an industrial machinery catalog, but the owner is very involved in guitar making and has made some very nice pieces! They have alot of guitar building materials and tools, kits, really cheap pickguards and some very nice billets of wood!

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/luthier/014.cfm?
        http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/luthier/015.cfm?

Here's a link to the beginning of the guitar related section. http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/luthier/001.cfm?

Cool guitar by the way, and good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris
        Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Turd polisher! Ha ha!

A couple of those inlays are crooked!

Eh, just leave it like it is, Alex, they look good enough.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

This was in another thread; might be a cheap way to see if the look is really worth the cost of putting real ones in. I agree with RacerX though, just leave it.

http://www.fretware.com/catalog2/default.php

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Thanks! You can tell what it looks like from those closeups? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I saw pics when you got. I've always liked Japanese "lawsuit" guitars.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I saw that too but didnt want to mention it. Maybe its just the camera angle? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, I saw that too but didnt want to mention it. Maybe its just the camera angle? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wishful thinking [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Ya know what, I checked the guitar's fretboard and I don't see the crooked inlays. I noticed the crooked inlays only in my pictures. I was quite puzzled by it too... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I definitely know about the FretWare thing... I was the one who suggested it in a recent thread! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Newc originally asked about it a year or so ago and someone gave him the link, and I remembered it ever since.

And even if the inlays ARE crooked, so what? It's a $700 ESP lawsuit, not a $2000 American Gibson Les Paul Custom. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] But it plays and sounds frickin' UNREAL... [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

Turd polisher? I thought you hated it when I called myself that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That Grizzly link is fantastic! I can picture Newc browsing their online catalog a lot... with visions of polishing many turds... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      I definitely know about the FretWare thing... I was the one who suggested it in a recent thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], I'm too busy trying to get my post count up so I can view the classifieds. It was good for a laugh [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Comment

Well, at least you're being helpful and honest when you're getting your post count up... do that and I don't think the admins will have a problem with you when your post count qualifies, but I'm not an admin, so be conservative in your posts because that's what they'll judge you worthy on!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

NOTP,

On the lespaulforum, they talk about replacing plastic with more realistic looking plastic. On guy described it in pretty good detail - using a heat gun to melt the glue, drilling a hole in the old inlay to have something to pull up on, etc. The replacement inlays he was using were plastic, and needed to be shimmed up from the backside. These were trapazoid, so your square blocks should be easier. But you are going to use real MOP, might be more difficult.

I don't like the inlays on my 2002 LP Std., but not enough to replace them. At least not yet.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            Well, at least you're being helpful and honest when you're getting your post count up... do that and I don't think the admins will have a problem with you when your post count qualifies, but I'm not an admin, so be conservative in your posts because that's what they'll judge you worthy on!! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the advice. I have been careful with the posting; I was just poking fun at myself. I'm on the board all day long trying to be a productive member.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Turd polisher? I thought you hated it when I called myself that! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Alex, you just got DETHRONED! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=418820
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X