Extensive body conversion project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extensive body conversion project

Ok, I have an idea, as I've mentioned before, to convert a standard Warrior body to 7-string, but I need someone that can do either of the following:

#1 - Split a WRXT body down the center - neck pocket to rear strap pin - and mount the two halves to an alder/poplar strip. Width of said strip would be equal to the difference between a 6 and 7-string neck pocket, pickup routes, and trem post spacing.

OR

#2 - Route said body's pickup and trem cavities for 7-string pickups and trem, and shave the sides of a 7-string neck heel (under the board) to fit in a 6-string neck pocket.

OR

#3 - Cut the wings off of a 7-string Dinky body and replace them with Warrior wings.

Problems I can see with either option right away:

#1 - Expanding the body with a new centerblock will throw the neck bolts and spring claw off (as well as the trem cavity cover, which doesn't bother me) and may affect mounting the neck and claw.

#2 - Trem post misalignment, requiring either a custom-made pivot post plate (mounted to original/existing insert holes, with fixed 7-string-spaced posts at each end), or a fill and redrill. The main drawback to the custom plate is that the posts could not be adjustable, as there's no hole underneath for them to go down into. This could, of course, be rectified by deepening the existing shelf that the trem inserts go into, and mounting the plate onto that, but then the posts on the conversion plate still couldn't be adjusted very much, and if the depth wasn't just right, it would probably not even work. Fill and redrill would theoretically work best. Jackson 6 and 7-string bolt-ons use the same neck bolt spacing (same neckplates, same bolt spacing), which means the edges of the neck heel could be shaved down equally to make it fit a 6-string pocket with Option 2, but under Option 1, the neck mounting holes on the body would be off, which may affect how and where and if new holes can be made in the pocket without killing the existing holes, or require a fill and redril on the neck pocket..

#3 - Donor body's length might not be equal to or compatible with a WRMG body, and I wouldn't want a large gap at the rear of the body.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Extensive body conversion project

I think the easiest thing to do would be to modify a neck 7-string neck to fit the body. Warmoth does this with their extra wide necks.

Comment

Option 2 seems like the way to go to me, with fill & redrill rather than custom plate. There's nothing on that list that you can't do, & do well. Measure twice, cut once, & go for it! Can you tell I'm still in pep-talk mode from work? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

i'd go with #3 Newc.
        if there is an issue with the lengh of the wings to the center block ..cut a block for the rear and shape accordingly, the center would remain sound and everything would remain scaled correctly,which to me seems like it would be a point of major importance. you are gonna have to do some gluing anyway, i'm sure your gonna do a solid color so all will be hidden. if i had the bodies i'd do it,,that is a very cool project to me.,,i've thought about it once or twice but with a STAR body in mind.....keep us posted...i would like to see this one happen.
        MOSH ON
        DAVE
        "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

I vote #3 also. Seems like the easiest method. I was thinking of doing something similar to my Soloist.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

<font color="aqua">I'm actually leaning to #2 as it might just be the easiest(for me) as I would be able to do all the work on the mill. As long as the fretboard didn't hang over the shoulders of the neck pocket, it would probably work fine. That make sense? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Yeah, but...you ain't doing it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                Yeah, but...you ain't doing it! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua"> but I need someone that can do either of the following:
                </font> [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
                Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Argh, missed that part....damn 2:47 AM posts! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I think #3 looks easy on paper, but could turn into a real woodworking challenge. For all the surfaces to be glued to match up well &amp; leave you with a correct shape, you'd need to cut and/or plane them just right. The shape of the outer edges of the bodies would make it challenging to use a table saw w/a fence to get a perfectly straight cut, &amp; freehanding it down a line might leave you with a lot of planing to get a good glue joint matchup. I don't think I'd try it unless I had access to top-notch equipment, or a couple of each type of body to play with. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I'd just be more comfortable with #2 myself, but everyone's different.

Comment

Uh, why not just buy a Carvin 7 string neckthrough block and mount the Warrior wings on it?

Sorry, is that too simple? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike
                      Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Uh, why not just buy a Carvin 7 string neckthrough block and mount the Warrior wings on it?

Sorry, is that too simple? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

CHEATER!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Newcensteining at its finest. Not even NOTP the JCF Turd Polisher could ever aspire to the level of insanity of the mad Doctor Newc. I forfeit! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

For the love of all things good, Jackson Custom Shop, PLEASE finish Newc's 7-string Warrior as fast as you can, or else Dr Newc will create another monster! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Okay, I can sort of see another potential problem with #3. If you were to hack the Warrior wings and slap them onto a Dinky body middle block, the Warrior wings may not line up all curvy like, know what I mean? You'd have to carve away at the Dinky block end to make it blend gracefully with the Warrior curves, and then paint over it to hide the transitional lines and smooth it out.

I'd probably want to slap the Warrior wings on a neckthrough Carvin blank as Michael said above, even though you want to build a bolt-on 7-string Warrior to appease you until you receive your Jackson Custom Shop. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, neckthrough's fine with me - hadn't really thought about the Carvin thing, but then they do 25" scale (which I know nothing about other than it's 1.5" different than what I'm used to [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]) and I don't know if I can get a blank boarded paddlehead. It's definitely gotta say Jackson, and I'd rather it be done with Jackson parts.
                            Plus, I don't want a neckthrough Newcenstein and a Custom Shop bolt-on - something about that just ain't right [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

And yeah, Ron, I ain't the one doing the work - I gotta find someone willing ot tackle this project, which is why I asked for opinions on the easiest method - I figured the one that would do it would speak up and pick the method they'd use [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think Dave is going to do a great job for you! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X