My projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My projects

I've decided to start modding my Charvel Carvette and RR copy over the next few weeks/months. I'm going to work on tone and playablity factors first and foremost since those are more important then a "cool looking axe" [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Anyways, here's my "drawing board"

<u>Charvel</u>
    Before:

Already replaced the JT6 with a chrome OFR. The locking nut is still black. Everything else is stock except the paint job, which came like that.

After

-Grey spraypaint removed and back to the original black finish
    -All hardware changed to chrome
    -Neck pickup slot filled in and re-finished
    -Bridge pickup changed to a Dimarzio X2N
    -Either replace the fretboard/frets/inlay or find a 24 fret 24-3/4 scale rosewood Charvel neck and do the "ebony trick" to it
    -EMG PA2 or Jackson JE100 preamp install
    -"Binding trick" on neck/headstock

<u>RR</u>
    Before

This will be the one I'll start first. I've already changed the pickups to EMG-85n/81b and the nut to a Graph Tech Trem-nut.

After
    -Hardware changed to gold
    -Neck 'bucker slot filled in and re-finished
    -Gold Floyd Rose (already bought) and "behind the nut" locking nut installed
    -Freboard replace with an 24 fret ebony board, new frets and inlays (can't swap the neck as it's a neck through and this one needs a new board BAD!! Original owner + scalloping = EVIL!!! haha)
    -EMG PA2 or Jackson JE100 preamp install
    -Modifed pinstripes based on Randy's white V [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    -"Binding trick" on neck/headstock
    -remove the paint off the back of the neck/headstock

Anyways, those are my idears and goals. I'm in the process of tracking down all the parts I'll need. If anyone has any of the hardware, preamps or the Dimarzio pickup they're willing to part with, PM me.
    Comments? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: My projects

Are you using one of those clear acrylic bodies on the Charvette? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] J/K

I really like the pinstripes on the Rhoads! Should look great, good luck with both of them. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris
    Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

looks great!!
      didn't know swapping a fretboard is THAT easy?
      always had something like my financal death in mind with regard to this... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

be sure to keep us updated with some fotos during the progress!! would be nice to watch them grow up... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
      have fun&amp;good luck///

edit; oh and it's JE1000!!!
      100 isn't really that bad, but they're actually 10 times that great!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

rock on, bro, and keep us informed with the progress!

Comment

you're going from a 22 fretboard to a 24 on the rhoads? you're gonna need to move the bridge, too.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            you're going from a 22 fretboard to a 24 on the rhoads? you're gonna need to move the bridge, too.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">No he won't, he's just changing the length of the fretboard, he's not changing the scale. </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

how do you figure? it's still the same scale, he'll just have the extra two frets overlapping the old neck pickup area...

Comment

how is this not the same as putting a 24 fret neck on a 22 fret body? not tryin to be confrontational, i'm just kind curious. i'm assuming b/c it's a neck thru and neck pockets aren't an issue.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  i'm assuming b/c it's a neck thru and neck pockets aren't an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">bingo! The scale remains the same unless he changes scales [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] then he'd have to move the bridge. The 22 and 24 bolt on necks are made differently and you would have to cut into the neck pickup route to accomodate the longer fretboard like I did with the avenger body (remember that monstrosity [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ?). Since he's covering up the neck pickup route and just replacing the fretboard he'll probably have to add in a little shim to get the rest of the fretboard length level but that's a given. </font>
                  Dave ->

Comment

well, the rest of the fret board (2 frets worth), would be negligible because there will be no flex in that short of length, either that or it will rest directly on the body if the body is thick enough...PLus, his RR is an old Japanese Hondo, it should have a thick enough bodu to accomodate the 24 fret fingerboard without any sizing issues (provided he uses the same scale, of course...)

Comment

Keeping the same scale length on both guitars. I'm starting the RR project first since the Charvel is in fine working order and the RR is the one in dire need of a "make over" anyways [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I'll probably just install the X2N (when I find/get one) in the Charvel and leave it like that until the RR project is finished.
                      I'll try to document as much of the major processes with my crappy webcam. Not the little processes though, I'm sure you guys don't want to see a bunch of pictures pickup installs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Budman, that fretboard off the Model 6...it's not usable anymore by chance, is it? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

<font color="aqua">Sorry bro, it's not, and quite honestly, it wasn't useful ON the model 6 as it was in rough shape. </font>
                        Dave ->

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          <font color="aqua">Sorry bro, it's not, and quite honestly, it wasn't useful ON the model 6 as it was in rough shape. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, no problem. I have sometime to figure out the fretboard issue.

It looks like the RR's gold Floyd Rose and Charvel's X2N pickup install are the first mods that'll be happening. I'm just waiting for the weather to warm up and I'll get to stripping the spray paint off the Charvel also.

Comment

Well I was wrong. I got some parts at the local music store today and installed on the guitars today. The RR got the 3 gold knobs. The Charvel got the chrome knob, chrome Gotoh tuning machines and a white pickup ring. Ran into a slight problem with the p/u ring though, it's one of those tall ones for a Les Paul...OOPS!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                            Also picked up a hardshell case for the Charvel [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I asked the store to phone me a quote for the Dimarzio X2N too but I'm not holding my breathe for it being under $150 *shakes head* I was checking out their pickup selection and they had a bunch of Seymour Duncan 'buckers...ALL of them were over $150..most over $200 *keeps shaking head*

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X