Boiled Linseed Oil Stinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Linseed Oil Stinks?

The smell, I mean. Kinda reeks, don't it? And even a day after application. Works well, but ick.
    The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Re: Boiled Linseed Oil Stinks?

Doesn't bother me so much. Maybe it varies by brand?

Anyway, if it really bothers you that much, just give it a few days to cure and then follow up with a very light application of lemon oil. That ought to get rid of the smell.

Comment

to me, it smells as much as any other solvent/oil. doesn't bother me, but hey, that's me.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Oh Ya, the boiled Linseeed oil I got from Home depot,
        stunk to High heaven. It took about a week for it to fade,
        but it worked great.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Doesn't bother me as much as the time it takes for tung oil to totally dry.

Pete

Comment

you also don't have to slather the stuff on, either. that could be part of it.
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Doesn't bother me as much as the time it takes for tung oil to totally dry.

Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Pete, this a couple of times you mentioned a problem with how long Tung Oil dries for you, can I ask what brand you use? I use Formby's and the stuff dries completely overnight. I scuff it the next day, put another coat on and when that dries, I use "0000" steel wool to smooth everything over and works like a charm. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Well I used Klean-Strip brand Boiled Linseed Oil from Wally World, applied so thinly that it wouldn't run or drip then wiped down, and it reeks like something spoiled.

I'm one of those oddballs who likes the smell of solvents: gasoline, turpentine, naphtha... this brand / can of linseed oil stinks like something rotted. Works well, though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Pete, this a couple of times you mentioned a problem with how long Tung Oil dries for you, can I ask what brand you use? I use Formby's and the stuff dries completely overnight. I scuff it the next day, put another coat on and when that dries, I use "0000" steel wool to smooth everything over and works like a charm. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Oklahoma City humidity may have something to do with it, Dave.

Comment

What are you guys using this on? For fretboards, raw, edible linseed oil is what to use. You get it at a health food store.

Comment

I've had tung oil dry overnight... but I've had boiled linseed oil dry within 15 minutes. I like being able to take a guitar apart, sand the neck to raw wood, hit it with a coat of linseed oil while I take apart and clean the floyd or bridge, take the guitar apart and buff the body, etc. I just like being able to finish a project like that within a few hours than leave it apart for a day... drives me nuts. I'm more into finishing a neck in hours, not days. Plus it seems like the boiled linseed oil lasts longer than tung oil, but it's just my opinion, not scientific fact. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Pete

Comment

Boiled Linseed iritates the hell outta my skin. Even a few days later.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          Boiled Linseed iritates the hell outta my skin. Even a few days later.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Ummm, you are using this on the guitar neck right [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]?

Comment

ha ha ha... not funny.

I mean after you let the guitar sit a day or so and then play.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              Ummm, you are using this on the guitar neck right ?

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] *cough* I mean [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X