Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck bowed so hard I could fire arrows with it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck bowed so hard I could fire arrows with it!

Before I really screw this guitar over, which way should the truss rod be turned to straighten the neck? It looks like I've got one shot at it. The guitar is a Slammer bass (which is probably why it came with action as shitty as it is). The action is probably a half inch at the 12th fret! It's amazing actually, I'm beginning to think the neck is made of hard rubber! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Anyway, I don't care if the neck snaps while trying to straighten it, I just want to make sure that I'm doing what I can to prevent it. If it happens, woops.

Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Re: Neck bowed so hard I could fire arrows with it!

Which way is it bowed? If it's backbowed, turn the rod left to loosen it, and maybe put some heavier gauge strings on it, too. If it's a forward bow, turn it right to tighten it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      Which way is it bowed? If it's backbowed, turn the rod left to loosen it, and maybe put some heavier gauge strings on it, too. If it's a forward bow, turn it right to tighten it.

[/ QUOTE ] I would guess it has a forward bow if the action is 1/2 inch at the 12th fret. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Tighten that bad boy.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        I would guess it has a forward bow if the action is 1/2 inch at the 12th fret. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
        Yeah, good point! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Re: Neck bowed so hard I could fire arrows with it

just give a quarter turn and wait a hour then retune and check it then repeat untill you get the action where you want it and you wont snap it. if it gets real hard to turn then stop because if you strip it then you are hosed.

Comment

OK, thanks guys!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              just give a quarter turn and wait a hour then retune and check it then repeat untill you get the action where you want it and you wont snap it. if it gets real hard to turn then stop because if you strip it then you are hosed.

[/ QUOTE ] Loosen the strings a half step to ease her along too.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Get Dan Erlewine's book How to Make Your Guitar Play Great. He talks about fixing messed up necks. You don't want to make it worse.

Comment

Working...
                X