my wife the Luthier...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my wife the Luthier...

<font color="aqua"> Ok, well I got this abortion Model 6 from Keith (axtogrind) Keith did not do this to this guitar, he got it this way!), and it's going to need a lot of help [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. I have an idea all picked out for this one and the first step was to remove the frets and the fretboard with a few tools and a houshold iron with steam. Please don't cringe at the idea of me doing this to a Model 6 as this one was brutally abused.

As most of you know I'm very busy in the shop lately so in order to get any projects of mine done, my wife Lisa, is going to have to pitch in [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I was able to snap a few shots as she worked [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

A few before shots:

The veneer was already on the face of the headstock when I received it, it might be removed but it'll be left alone for now.

Pretty rough here but it will all be hidden [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

First she had to remove the frets by tapping them out with a small chisel and mallet. This was fairly easy since the binding was already removed.

After the frets were removed, she started at the body end of the fretboard since it would be easier to hide any initial screw ups there. Lisa rested the iron right on top of the fretboard for a good 5 minutes with the steam setting on high to let the steam from the iron "soak" into the wood. I use the term "soak" very loosely as it's not really wetting the wood to much at all. After a bit, she pushed in a razor blade right between the fretboard and the neck wood, into the actual glue joint as you can see.

It's amazing how easily the razor just slid right in when the glue is warmed up. After she got the razor buried into the end of the fretboard, she started a more sturdier bladed knife on top of the razor and under the fretboard. The key thing to remember was that we could care less about the fretboard and we wanted to keep the neck wood a solid as possible.

The knife in the picture actually didn't work very well because it wasn't "splitting" the woods, it was "spreading" them which would have led to a break on the fretboard which we didn't want because it would have been a pain in the ass to start the procedure again with fragmented wood splinters [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. It also didn't let the iron sit flat on the fretboard to transfer the heat as well so she switched to a putty knife that I sharpened on one side for her. She slowly worked her way down the fretboard, letting the iron sit and warm up each section of glue and then splitting it a little more on the way.

Just about done!

putty knife cam [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

All done!

Nice and clean and only minimal sanding will be needed. If you notice the stuff hanging off the fretboard in the background, it's the glue from the previous binding, not wood from the neck! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

A couple of more pics for you:

Here's a shot of the underside of the fretboard. If you look at where the green arrows are pointing to, you'll see darker areas where you can see the "increments" that she moved with the putty knife.

Hope you enjoyed that, I'm very proud of her! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    </font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Re: my wife the Luthier...

wow, cool! She did a great job. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
    This is a perfect project for ya Dave. So what is the plan with the fretboard? It may sound like a dumb question, but can it be straightened and reused? or are you gonna lay a new one? maple?

Comment

Very cool! This would make a good sticky topic. Keep us posted with the progress. Nice work! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Chris
      Are YOU a Jackson Warrior? Join us and be all that you can be!

Comment

Man that's a great photo series. Please keep us updated.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          wow, cool! She did a great job. [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          This is a perfect project for ya Dave. So what is the plan with the fretboard? It may sound like a dumb question, but can it be straightened and reused? or are you gonna lay a new one? maple?

[/ QUOTE ]
          A maple board would be great on that guitar [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Super cool! [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] Can't wait to see what you come up with, & how you tackle the headstock reshaping. I agree that a maple board would be awesome & unique.

Comment

TOO cool! GREAT work so far, and just the kind of pics and updates that I can't get enough of.

Now, if I had only thought about putting the Mrs. to work on it, I'd have never sent it to you! The main difference would be that if my Mrs. took it on, it would end up decoupaged with something like - say - butterflies, and the pup cavities would have beeswax candles poured in...

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Keith
              The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Looks great Dave. It is nice that she takes an interest in your hobby.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Dave, have you got a daughter that´s just as cool? Can I have her? I´ll take good care of her and give her lots of guitars to work on [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, that's top work there, it makes it sound like even I could do it...lol...

Tell us your plans for this guitar...we need to know!!

Comment

<font color="aqua">My wife and I thank you for the kind words, she actually had a blast doing it and had to tell me to get back to work at what I was doing because I kept wanting to get into the middle of it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                      So what is the plan with the fretboard? It may sound like a dumb question, but can it be straightened and reused? or are you gonna lay a new one? maple?

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="aqua">

I guess we're going to have to wait and see now won't we? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I will say that the old board is history as it was pretty screwed up when I received it. The inlays will be salvaged but not necessarily for this project [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                      The main difference would be that if my Mrs. took it on, it would end up decoupaged with something like - say - butterflies, and the pup cavities would have beeswax candles poured in...

You have no idea how close you are bro! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
                      It is nice that she takes an interest in your hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]<font color="aqua">
                      Actually, this is the first time she really got into it and we've been married for 15 years (16 in May)!

[ QUOTE ]
                      Dave, have you got a daughter that´s just as cool? Can I have her? I´ll take good care of her and give her lots of guitars to work on

How old do you think I am bro? Unless you're a pedophile... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] j/k!

[ QUOTE ]
                      Wow, that's top work there, it makes it sound like even I could do it...lol...

I'm really sure you could my friend, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks again all, don't hold your breath, this one will take awhile, knowing how I am.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        <font color="aqua">
                        Thanks again all, don't hold your breath, this one will take awhile, knowing how I am.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing how you are, it will kick some major ass, too. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Keith
                        The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

Wow. Great series of photos. I seriously appreciate your taking the time to let us in on this very cool project. I agree with the suggestions for a maple fretboard. I'm thinking birdseye with ebony fins. [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
                          Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Comment

Those are awsome pics of the process. Pretty damn cool your wife worked on this too. God knows any woman I've gone out with wishes I'd stop with all this guitar crap. Great job again, very awsome

Comment

Woah!
                              Dave, your wife RULES!!! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

She gets double whammy brownie points for using an iron on a fretboard, because that is the ONLY time any woman should ever have to use an iron. How metal is she? [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Great job, you guys. I think it is awesome you are working on this together. Cheers to the both of you [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                              I look forward to updates!

Em

Comment

Working...
                              X