Yellowing a new White Finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing a new White Finish

I'm wanna make a new snow white finsh Yellow/Creme and I don;t wanna wait 15 years. Any methods of speeding up the prosess??
    I've fallen, Fallen through. If I'm Not With you, All I wanna Do Is Feel blue

Re: Yellowing a new White Finish

buying a yellowed guitar already :P

I have no idea, if you smoke, smoke around the guitar? blow some smoke in its direction

Comment

Smoke. Lots and lots of cigarette smoke.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Leave it in direct sunlight. All day. Every day.

Which may very well get the guitar stolen, but that's beside the point.
        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

What about a heat gun or an oxy acetylene torch?? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Hey, did you ever see Jerry Cantrell's "leopardskin" white LP Custom? He did the "finish" himself by stubbing out cigarettes on his guitar! [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] It looked kinda cool, actually.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Actually, if you really want to go to the trouble, you can mix just a hint of brown base in some clear and shoot over the original finish (proper prep of course). It will take on a nice aged yellow look. I'm not talking a lot of base either, just a few drops in a quart of clear will do it. Too much and your screwed!
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Yeah, it's as simple as that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I think it was Derek Frigo? that hung a white guitar in a storage shed and lit like 50 cigarettes and let them burn with the door closed and did it for a few weeks straight. When it came out, it was a vintage faded white, though I'm sure it smelled like nicotine and was sticky all over [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Direct Sunlight will also make the board dry out, as well as the finish itself.

Try a heatgun on a high enough setting for a long enough time and it should do it, but you'll either have to exceed the gun's on-time or burn it up entirely.

How about brushing/spraying on some thinner and letting it sit there?
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

dip it in coffee for a few days.
                  "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                  The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

hey! [img]/images/graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] instead of flushing that used toilet paper.......... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

oh man, you'd learn to suppress your gag reflex playing that.... [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/fart.gif[/img]
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

What about a Butane Torch??

Comment

At the correct distance, yes, that'd work, just don't get in a hurry.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ultraviolet lights, like those found in a tanning salon. Sunlight as well.

Either way, don't let the guitar get too much heat. It will warp the neck.

A perfect place would be on a sunny winter day - snow on the ground helping to concentrate the light on the guitar.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I think it was Derek Frigo? that hung a white guitar in a storage shed and lit like 50 cigarettes and let them burn with the door closed and did it for a few weeks straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
                              I remember that story, but I thought it was one of the guys from Kix who did that.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X