My new Lakland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Lakland

I just picked up a Lakland bass today. It's a 55-01, the "low end" model. You'd never know it from playing it. Ran me 700.00 brand new, and plays like it should easily cost over a grand. In fact, I just posted a while back that in my opinion a decent 5 string was going to run you over 1,000.00. Well, I stand corrected. This blew me away during my quest for a bass that I could gig with but not get upset with if it got a ding in it. My other bass is way to dear to me to submit it to the rigors of live performance.

I must say that I think Laklands are ugly-ass basses. Maybe not so much ugly, as I just personally don't find their physical attributes very alluring. I prefer more modern styling and black hardware on a bass, with no inlays. I ended up with a Fender clone, chrome hardware and dots. Ugh. But, all that is forgotten when I start cranking out some Dream Theater and Stevie Wonder tunes on it.

I know the pictures suck. It's still winter here in Minnesota, so it's 30 degrees out and dark outside by 7:00, so these indoor pics will have to do.

Here's to keeping this part of the forum active!

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Re: My new Lakland

That's pretty cool! I've always liked the looks of Lacklands for some reason. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Lovely burst color. Nice shape too. So many new basses lose me on the top horn shape. That one on the Carvin bass (forget which model) looks like you can pick your teeth with it.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Lovely burst color. Nice shape too. So many new basses lose me on the top horn shape. That one on the Carvin bass (forget which model) looks like you can pick your teeth with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the Bunny Bruel (sp?) series. I hear ya.

Definitely grab a Lakland and give it a try next time you see on. I don't know how they do it, but man these things play super-sweet.

- E.

Comment

What do all the controls on that do, BTW?

Comment

you may not like it, but I do. Very nice! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
            Hail yesterday

Comment

I once jammed with someone who played a Lakland. It had a very nice, deep, round tone to it. Sweet bass.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                What do all the controls on that do, BTW?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bass, Mid, Treble adjust
                Pickup blend
                Master volume w/pull to defeat internal preamp

Haven't run it through my rig yet, but it sounded nice in the store. I'll check it out tonight.

- E.

Comment

Cool. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

My only knock would be if you have to ever adjust the trussrod...yikes what an ordeal. It's cool they cut a small channel there for a tool, at least you don't have to take the neck off like a lot of Fenders.

Comment

Yep, not near as bad as Fenders. I know that is a gripe about the Geddy Lee bass, among others.

I plugged it into my rig tonight. Nice tone; brighter than my Roscoe, which is good. My Roscoe is very mellow, which is good in some instances, but I needed something a little brighter for the more agressive stuff I like to play.

I think the Volume knob needs replacing, as it rolls off to nothing as soon as you start turning it down, so I'll have them check it out at the store. It will be an easy fix.

All in all, one hell of a value for 700.00.

- E.

Comment

Working...
                      X