X2n with An Alder Fly V will it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2n with An Alder Fly V will it work?

Hi guys how r u all? I know it's good to aks Jackson related questions but i really wanted to ask this. I currently own 2 guitars a JAcskon DXMG loaded with emg85/emg81. I recently got a new Epiphone Fly V 1976 model. THe pickups on the fly V sound muffed and not response .. only good for nu-metal.

I was thinking is it good high output PASSIVE pickup like a X2N on to my Fly V? Because since i read that the X2N will work good with solid body guitars.

Will it work will with my Fly V as my Fly V has the pickup guard SO WILL it be considered as semi hollow?

Does any one know what high output PASSIVE pickups for afly V guitar?

Thanks!!

Re: X2n with An Alder Fly V will it work?

I like the x2n, an oldie but a goodie. Should work fine but I'm sure there are people here you will probably sway you to the one of the APC model pickups. The 'Persuader' seems popular as a hi output pickup.

Comment

A pickguard just means that the electronics cavity is routed into the front of the guitar, not into the back like on most pickguardless guitars. I don't know the exact specifications of what makes a semihollow a semihollow, but your V is a solidbody. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
      I have an X2N in my alder DK2 and it sounds just fine. Somewhat on the bright and trebly side, but definitely nice.
      Other pickups you might want to consider are the Duncan Distortion, Invader and Dimebucker, DiMarzio Super Distortion, and Bill Lawrence's L500XL (be careful to get the originals thru his own website though).

Comment

Yeah the pickguard is there to cover the large track they chopped into the wood for the wires and pickups, it's not there for tonal purposes like a Semi-Hollow.

You can also try a Duncan Distortion, Gibson 500T, or Duncan Invader.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have a set of Kent Armstrong ultra-distortions in my rhoads (also an alder body V) and they sound awesome..... crushing and powerful, but still very usable for clean sounds. These are probably the highest output passive pickups you'll ever find (20Kohm DC resistance)
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Hey Guys thx for the Info and Support! CHEERS!! I was thinking of an X2N ehehe kind of into the blade pickup as it looks really kool on the guitar then. As i want to us the fly V for Drop C stuff like Shadows Fall, Killswitch Rngage and Unearth.

By the Way delt do you have any sound samples of the ultra distortions?

How good are they? I have read form Harmony-cental mixed reviews .... It is really tempting as 20k MAn ITS over the X2N? and pretty cheap of EBAY.

THanks!

Comment

If you're into blade magnets, check out the Lawrence 500XL. Insane output as well. www.billlawrence.com

Comment

X2Ns kick ass!! I can't imagine really needing more power than one of those. You won't even need to crank the gain on your amp with an X2N... unless, of course, you're a gain freak and need that much output! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] The Invader is also a great pup, just more focused in the low midrange and bass compared to the highs and high mids of the X2N. The X2N is nicely balanced, though, just a little bright but not too much.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hi Toejam do you have any sound clips of the X2N? It would be nice to hear it. Is the X2N really that treble? Something like the EMG 81?

Does anyone know which pickup has the characteristics of the EMG 85 but PASSIVE?

Thanks!!

Comment

Would a X2N + KV2 + Engl Powerball sound good? I love the JB in my Jackson..just wondering if there is a better combo with pups?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Hi Toejam do you have any sound clips of the X2N? It would be nice to hear it. Is the X2N really that treble? Something like the EMG 81?

Does anyone know which pickup has the characteristics of the EMG 85 but PASSIVE?

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]
                      Sorry, I don't have any clips of the X2N... I've got no recording gear. It can be trebly in certain guitars, but you should be able to fix that up easily with the eq on your amp. I thought it was fine in my old Kramer which was actually a plywood body, it was too bright in my old Charvel Model 6 that was poplar, and it was fine in my old Warrior which was alder. Alder and poplar are similar tonally, but I guess the neck-thru maple on the Model 6 brought out the higher frequencies more compared to the bolt-on neck of the Warrior.
                      I'm also a big EMG fan, I actually prefer the 85 in the bridge over the 81 nowadays, but they're both cool, but I think the X2N still blows them away in output for a nice passive pup. Not sure about passive pups offhand that would be similar to the 85.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        I'm sure there are people here you will probably sway you to the one of the APC model pickups.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody got a link to some info on these? Their website is pretty much useless.
                        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          If you're into blade magnets, check out the Lawrence 500XL. Insane output as well. www.billlawrence.com

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 on the 500XL's..... Love mine.

Comment

I would want to try and get a Bill Lawrence but ehehe can't wait that long for him to make it. I was thinking of getting of from Ebay but to many knock offs.

So the X2N is the best solution.

Hey ToeJam is the X2N good for low tunings? I have my Guitar tuned to drop C with a 52-10 string set.

And my style is mostly the new Metalcore thing like Shadows Fall, All that remains, Killswitch Engage, Trivium, Unearth.

And some Modern Thrash like MAchine Head.

Thanks!

Comment

I dropped an x2n and super 2 in my B tuned alder bolt on dr3. Output galore, and the pickup itself plays awesome. It finally made the guitar not seem like it was so low, it returned it to sounding natural. Balls out shred is mad with this thing, my vamp is clippin' a hell of alot even with the input gain zero'd [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] it sounds fantastic though. I made a patch with minimal gain on the amp, and its really clear as, broken up nicely. The dimebucker shows noticably less distortion on it and the emghz's in my slsmg produce a weak sound that barely crackles [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                              A fun pickup with sweet range

Comment

Working...
                              X