Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a locking nut...

Hi guys,

I have a Mighty Mite neck I'm using for my Star project (getting a Wayne body in the next few days)... I've been looking at how I might install a locking nut so I can put a Floyd on it... the only thing is that if I take the existing nut off, and chisel off the wee bit of wood behind it, the flat bit is only gonna be about half the width of the locking nut, if that makes sense. Am I missing something, or is there some way around this, or am I just beat?

Cheers,
    Steve.

Re: Installing a locking nut...

You need to build a platform for it out of a shaped wood piece.

Comment

Or, you can use a Kahler style lock clamp that goes on after the regular nut. Thats probably the easiest way but it may not be to your liking. If you do go about it this way then you get to buy one of those cool cut out truss rod covers from Budman!!!

Comment

You'll probably also have to either make the "platform" lower or make the locking nut shorter, or else the strings will be way too high at the first frets.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Or, you can use a Kahler style lock clamp that goes on after the regular nut. Thats probably the easiest way but it may not be to your liking. If you do go about it this way then you get to buy one of those cool cut out truss rod covers from Budman!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but then youll still have problems of strings snagging and hanging up at the nut which is the main reason you want to lock it at that end in the first place.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            You'll probably also have to either make the "platform" lower or make the locking nut shorter, or else the strings will be way too high at the first frets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, most locking nuts sit down lower than a regular nut. Thats probably the problem here.

Comment

Working...
            X