pickup covers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup covers

I was wonder if I could install these on pikcups like dimarzios and duncans. If so, how do they affect the sound, if at all?

Thanks,

Re: pickup covers

Many have differing opinions, but I cannot tell the difference with covers in terms of sound or pickup performance. Of course, there are plastic and metal covers. Duncan will sell you any of their pickups with a cover. But I've tried covers in the same guitar with the same pickup, both off and on, and never could discern a difference.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I notice a slight spike in the highs when you pull the nickel covers off a set of Les Paul pickups. You lose some of that associated muddiness, but like I said, it is slight.

Comment

I've only used plastic covers and i can't tell a difference in the sound at all. Some people say they hear a difference, but i certainly don't. I also don't see any reason why there should be a difference, since plastic doesn't affect magnetic fields in any way.
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Cool,

So where do I find these plastic covers? they are available for humbuckers yeah?

Comment

ok I found some on ebay.

So, how do I attach these to my dimarzios and duncans?

Comment

Most of the time you can get by and just remove the pickup from its mounting ring, slip the cover on and go. That might be good to decide if you really want to keep it that way. For a pro level job, dab a tiny amount of superglue around the bobbins and stick the cover on for a more permanent fix.

Comment

Cool thanks so much!

Comment

There was a fun discussion about pickup covers some time ago - lots of opinions on them [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm one of the few; the proud; the ones who can hear a difference in covered pickups [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Newc, you sure what you're hearing isn't the sound of a dremel tool flashbacking in your ears after a mad doctor creation went bad?! [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Nah, I wear earplugs when I Dremel [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                      X