Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG PA-2 wired to an external pot & switch..... ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG PA-2 wired to an external pot & switch..... ?

I wonder if anyone has done this ...... a tech at EMG (and my electronic meter) confirmed that the trimpot on the PA-2 is a 500k linear pot. So i could unsolder the trimpot and add 2 leads that connect to a 500k push-pull to control the amount of gain without having to fk around with a screwdriver in the control cavity.

..... i guess i could have the same effect by using an afterburner instead of a pa-2, but (1) then i couldn't use a standard push-pull, and (2) i have a pa-2 and not an afterburner.

i was also thinking of using a dpdt that cuts off the battery and shorts the input to the output (true bypass) instead of the pa-2's switch, that way it won't waste battery power when i turn it off and keep the guitar plugged in. It will also make the guitar at least playable when the battery is dead and i don't have a spare one.

... any of you done something like this?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: EMG PA-2 wired to an external pot & switch..... ?

If you don't want extra holes in the body, I'd say try the PA-2 with a push-pull pot. I might do that do one of mine.

If you're worried about screwing up, go with the afterburner. Plus, it's lowered than the PA-2, right?

Comment

Re: EMG PA-2 wired to an external pot & switch....

there's already a hole for the pa-2, i was thinking of using as i said, a standard dpdt switch in that hole to bypass the pa-2. And i have 2 volumes on that guitar, one for each humbucker, i was thinking of making it into one master volume and one gain control. So the pa-2 unit itself would just find itself taped to the side of the control cavity or something.

oh, and my 2 volume push-pulls split the humbucker coils, i'd like to keep it that way.

"Plus, it's lowered than the PA-2, right?" <--- what exactly do you mean by that?
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

Meant the Afterburner is lower in gain/boost than the PA2....I think. Or is it the other way around.

Comment

they're both 20db according to EMG's site.....

Comment

I've got my PA-2 installed in a (Mesa Boogie style) footpedal that my axe plugs into and then out of the pedal into my preamp. That way I can use it with all my axes...
            RIP Donny Swanstrom...JCF bro
            RIP Dime

Comment

From talking to the guys at EMG, the afterburner and the PA-2 are almost exactly the same ciruit, same sound, same everything, except the PA-2 works with a minitoggle and the Afterburner uses a pushpull.

Comment

^ that's what i thought. i also figure it must be pretty similar to the circuitry that comes on active pickups.....

Comment

wow! thought they were different. Oh well. Go with either then.

Comment

Success!! I soldered 2 wires where the trimpot was, and these 2 wires go to the same leads on one of my push-pulls, and it works perfectly.

Comment

Working...
                    X