truss rod adjustment....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truss rod adjustment....

When making small adjustments to the truss rod, is it better to loosen the string tension first? Or does it not really matter??

Re: truss rod adjustment....

Keep it tuned. Why a "small" adjustment? What does it look like?

Comment

In 22 years of pounding away on these things (guitars) I, today, for the first time ever, adjusted a truss rod. And got the result I was looking for / hoping for.

Might be 22 more years before I do that again... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Keep it tuned. Why a "small" adjustment? What does it look like?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I first got this guitar last week it had 9's on it and really high action. When I was lowering the action I noticed it was much higher on the middle frets than it was at the high frets. Come to find out the truss rod was completely loose. I tightened the truss rod and continued with the setup and all was good. I just put on heavier strings and lowered the action a little more and the same thing has happened although to a lesser degree. I want to try and tighten it some more but I'm no expert at this and want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

Comment

If I am tightening the trus rod, I typically loosen the strings, then adjust, then tune back to pitch and check the adjustment.

If I'm loosening the truss rod, I don't detune the strings, but obviously you have to retune after the adjustment.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
          X