Scared of truss rod arrangment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scared of truss rod arrangment.

My guitar tech told me that the guitar won't stand .10s gauge strings, it has .09s now. But I really want thicker strings. Also, I'd like to get rid of some buzz (the action is EXTREMELY low, it's great). For this it seems I need to use the truss rod but I love the neck and it's my first guitar, I'd feel like shit if I broke it. Do you guys have any tips?

Also, why do Floyd guitars need a truss rod adjustment for new gauge while non Floyds don't?

Re: Scared of truss rod arrangment.

.10s should work fine. You may not need a truss rod adjustment, but you will need to adjust the spring claw to pull your floyd back down to level, and will probably need to adjust the intonation.

Where is the buzz. I'm not 100% sure but I think the truss rod adjustment will really only help cure buzz on the first 5-7 frets. If the buzz is on the higher frets, raising the bridge might help.

When I got my Model 5FX there was a lot of buzz everywhere, but it was really bad around the 12th fret. I turned each of the posts 1/4 turn and checked again, the buzz was better but not gone, after I did this 3 times (each post rotated 3/4 turn) the buzz was gone, and the action wasn't that much higher.

If you end up working with the Truss rod, work in 1/4 turns and let the neck settle for a day or 2 before adjusting it again.

Comment

That's the problem, I have NO idea where the buzz is. To tell you how low the action is, I can pass my pick all the way between the strings and the frets and it would ALWAYS touch both and lift the strings a bit ( I use Fender mediums :P )
      And yeah I wanted to raise the bridge. I have no Allen key of this size and it annoys me as I can't try it yet, I was just wondering about other options. But in a week and a half I go back to my parents' and I think they'll have it, I'll try it then... I'll also ask the local dealers what they think about the .10s.
      I think I won't touch the truss rod then. Thanks a bunch!

Also, how to make sure the intonation is proper? I never really bothered with anything musically deeper than keeping her in tune [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh also if I do need a truss rod arrangment, how will I notice and what to do then? I'm so curious about it all, I'd rather know all about it before doing anything hehe [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

That's a lot of questions, I'd talk to some local techs in your area. You should be able to find one who will try to explain the various steps in setting up a guitar.

I'd also think about getting that book by Dan Erlewine which was mentioned in a previous thread today.

Comment

Thanks! I asked my tech and all he said was that my guitar wouldn't take .10s... So helpful (sarcasm)

Comment

I'd try another tech. I could see concerns if you were trying to jump from .09s to something huge like .13s, but one step shouldn't be a real problem.

Comment

dude, theres plenty of websites regarding truss rod adjustment, but basically, if you feel resistance, then stop, and dont go more than half a turn at a time. And going to 10's you shouldnt really have to.

Comment

Working...
              X