other basses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• other basses?

Well since being a junior member is frowned upon, I thought I get my post count up a little with a quality discussion about basses! Bass players seem to be quite in the minority on this forum. I know this is the J/C forum, but do you bass players out there have other favorite brands/makes/models? My favorite three brands are Jackson, Gibson, and BC Rich. What other basses do you have/like/use? What do you play on them?

Re: other basses?

I don't own either, but Spector and Warwick have been impressive when I have played them. My charvel plays so well that I have never been moved enough by a different bass to buy it.
    "told you guys that spandex, hairspray and makeup on guys was a bad idea, and now look what happened - you all turned into women." - Newc

Comment

I'm playing bass in my band now. I just bought a GMP and Modulus off of eBay. I have a Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass as well. No Charvel/Jackson ones, but there's a Thunderbird on eBay that's smokin!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

Comment

i have a couple of ibanez, aria,a dean,washburn, even an electra mpc and even a warmoth parts mutt, rarely touch them. lately been using a 2b with a lefty neck and emgs.the neck plays as well as my custom shop and is not as heavy!did recently play a bolt on spector at g/c and it was sweet!
        The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

I play on a Carvin LB75. Plays really nice and can be picked up for cheap via the 'bay. The 'backup' bass I use is a Samick 5 string that sounds absolutely horrid (but it isn't mine).

Other basses I've tried and liked... Fender, Ibanez, Modulus, and Spector. The black necked Ibanez sound gear five-stringers are really nice. And I've played on a couple of ESP basses that either sounded terrible and played pretty good or sounded great but played pretty bad.

Comment

I did have a Pedulla Pentabuzz for a while, but sold it to the guy in Japan who would later turn out to be my contact for scoring a JacksonStars NASL (New Archtop Soloist - PRS-ish thing).

Best bass I've played yet besides the Jacksons I've had was a Bossa. Thin neck, low action, killer tone, and woodgrain pickup covers.

I pretty much stick with my Jackson Concert V Pro 5-string, but am eyeing the Winger Pro currently on Ebay [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            I had one of those and it's sweet. Might have it defretted as I don't have a fretless, and neckthrough is way better for fretless IMO. Basses really show the differences between bolt-on and neckthrough construction as far as tone goes, and neckthrough + fretless = mellow like a cello [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I also had a Fender Mexi-P that was decent, but played a USA P that was way better.

Never owned a Ric 4001 but played something similar once that had what felt like a 1" nut width and guitar-like action [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
            It was only $250 at the time - I shoulda bought it.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Laklands are fantastic.

Warwicks are nice, but tone-wise are kind of a one-trick pony. You can really nail that clanky Korn tone with them, but that's about it. Not that that's a bad thing. They also have the thickest necks I've ever played on any guitar or bass. Serious Louisville territory. I do plan on buying one of these someday.

In my quest for a less-expensive bass to use for gigging, I am considering a G&L Tribute 2500. Played very nicely, good low B, and VERY versatile tone-wise. A good all around bass.

Schecter Stiletto Elite four-stringers are nice. I owned on eof them for a while before switching to five-strings.

I own a Roscoe five string; impeccable workamnship, with a very warm sound. Not as versatile tone-wise as I would like, but it is my baby, and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

I agree about Warwicks. Though I was thinking about getting a Warwick Buzzard because I liked Entwhistle's playing a lot. Laklands look pretty good, I've only casually played one at GC. Seemed expensive for an refined Fender P to me.

Comment

i just recently bought a carvin ac-40 on ebay for $315 and this thing rocks! then again i am as big a fan of carvin as i am charvel so i am bias. but then again i have never played a carvin that i didnt like.

Comment

newc, i've got a 3b fretless that needs pups and strap buttons( bought it for parts ) has o chrome badass bridge. i'll hook you up cheap!

Comment

I'm currently playing a Jackson Concert V 5-string, but I've had a number of basses over the years. I'm really a guitarist who does home recording, so I'm not especially picky about my basses, but I'm mostly interested in:

--low action and reasonably narrow string spacing, since I mostly play with a pick.

--bright, punchy sound. My main bass heroes are Chris Squire and Geddy Lee, and I prefer their brighter sound over the bigger, darker sound that you hear from Geezer Butler and such, though I'm also a huge fan of Geezer's playing.

--versatility. While I mostly go for a Squire-ish sound, I like to have a bass that can do a reasonable approximation of Geezer's tone, or get all silly and sound like the "Barney Miller" theme or Bootsy Collins on occasion.

The bass I've owned the longest was a Korean-made Spector NS-2B, which was a very nice bass, actually. I only sold it to switch to a 5-string. I'd like to get a Rickenbacker 4001, but I just don't have enough cash to blow it on something I wouldn't use very often.

Before the Spector, I was playing an early '90s Fender J-Bass that was sort of the bass equivalent of the HM Strat--it had a covered P-J pickup combo, maple board, and the 'modern' script on the headstock. That was a nice player, but not as nice sounding as the Spector. Fenders are always so damned dark sounding to me.

I thought about getting one of the Ibanez BTB 5-strings, because I like the extended scale on fivers, but the string spacing is awfully wide on those--which is great for the funk guys, but murder on me as a flatpicker.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        newc, i've got a 3b fretless that needs pups and strap buttons( bought it for parts ) has o chrome badass bridge. i'll hook you up cheap!

[/ QUOTE ]

do you still have it??? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

YEA HAVEN'T HEARD FROM NEWC YET' P/M ME IF YOUR INTERESTED

Comment

Yo Peabuddy, next time you're in GC give me a holla!

Comment

i'll do it! almost went over there this weekend. do you know scott lee? he is in there alot and that's my guitar player. think he deals with doc mostly

Comment

Working...
                              X