No announcement yet.

Anyone get threaded inserts for a neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone get threaded inserts for a neck?

I have a guitar where the truss rod adjusts at the heel. Seems like I have to take it off quite a bit to adjust it.
    I've thought about getting threaded inserts for the neck and machine screws to attach it. That way I don't have to worry about how much I have to take it off to adjust it. Anyone tried this? Any downside?

Re: Anyone get threaded inserts for a neck?

Roscoe guitars used inserts/machine screws (at least on their 6-string guitars back in the day). I have 4 Roscoes like this. I also have a Westone with same set up. No problems on any.

The key is getting the right insert and making sure it's really really really solidly inserted/glued into the neck. A manufacturer has the option of putting in the inserts in the neck from the top-side before the fingerboard is glued on....this way they can use a flange/head type insert that would take the brunt of the pulling force. They do make inserts that have little cutting edges and the insert threads in place using an allen wrench. You'd have to use this type from the bottom of the neck in your retrofit attempt. The key would be getting the hole size right for the insert to thread properly and also securing it with glue/epoxy so it doesn't loosen or pull out when you torque on the screws.

How often do you have to re-adjust the truss rod? I would think only a couple times a year due to season/temp swings. A neck with normal wood screws should easily survive many years of doing this a couple times a year as long as the screws aren't torqued beyond whats needed..just my opinion.

Comment

I didn't know about the inserts that go in from the top at the time of manufacture. Sound interesting.

As far as how often I have to remove it, it is probably a couple of times during each seasonal change. I wouldn't have thought this would be a problem, but each time I put the screws back in, I wish they were tighter. Seems fine now, but I'm actually wondering about having to dowel and re-drill the holes long term.

Comment

Here's a pic of wood-type threaded inserts. The flange one would be more for going from the top by a manufacturer, but you could still use this type if you counterbored the hole so the flange sat below the wood surface.
        catalog pic/info

We use these at work, and I have the 8-32 flush, the 8-32 flanged the 10-32 flanged. Our 8-32 flush ones have smaller tangs on the threads so they might not grab as well. In looking at these, you could grind off the flange and convert the flanged ones to flush ones. You use a metric allen wrench to insert these into the predrilled hole (hole specs/wrench specs per the website info).

Are you in the US? I could mail you some of these if you want. Send me a PM with your address.

Comment

Working...
        X