Where do the string trees go???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do the string trees go???

How do you determine where the string trees go? I have Tele and I just threw a new neck on it and I'm not sure where to put the string trees. I have two of the little roller ones that hold two strings each. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Where do the string trees go???

Mounted between the 1st and 2nd and 3rd and 4th strings about halfway from the nut to the tuners for those strings.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Cool. Thanks Newc! This should help with tuning stability, I hope.

Comment

Couldn't they technically go anywhere on the headstock, as long as adequate downward pressure is maintained across the nut? You could honestly put them ridiculously close to the nut to get some serious downward pressure.

And then there's Ibanez which puts the string retainer bar on a headstock that already is angled/tilted. Redundant. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

on the headstock.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Actually you want them equidistant from the nut and tuning post to maintain a balanced amount of stress on either side of the tree.
            From the nut to the tree, the string makes a more gradual approach and isn't trying to rip it out of the wood, and it provides a straight path to the tuning peg, which means no slippage or sharply pinched strings.

Put them closer to the head and you get extreme downward pressure that jerks as it slips, even with a roller tree. Too close to the tuning peg and it comes off the tree too sharp, as well as with a jerky slip when it goes out.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
            X