7 String p'up upgrade - input wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 String p'up upgrade - input wanted

Thinking about upgrading the p'ups in my Greco 7 String just for variety. I have an Anderson w/Anderson p'ups, an Ibanez w/ Dimarzio's (Blaze or Blaze 2), a Jackson w/ EMG 707's.
    The Greco had custom wound DiMarzios in it when I got it, and I went with a SD Distortion and a Jazz in the neck. I like the Jazz, but with the maple top, the distortion is kind of thin or shrill sounding, though I love the response of the guitar with this p'up.
    Thinking along 2 lines here : Just swap the bridge out - Duncan Custom 7 or a JB. OR do I go DiMarzio, and go with a Steve's Special and Air Norton ?

Thanks for any input.

Re: 7 String p\'up upgrade - input wanted

Since you've already got DiMarzios in one, I'd opt for the Duncan 7s just for absolute variety.
    The Custom in my mahogany/maple-topped NASL (Archtop SLS, basically) gives a very bassy tone compared to all my other guitars with various other Duncans, but not a farty tone. It's still got great highs and mids, but it's so NOT like any other guitar I have that it doesn't fit in tonally.
    It's got a JB in the neck, which sounds great as well, but I haven't tried swapping them around or out.

You might have good luck with a Screamin Demon or 59 or even a Pearly Gates, but it ultimately depends on what tone you're going for.
    For a 7-string, you're already getting extra bass tone, so you won't want something that adds more bass like the Custom, and from what's been said here before the JB is just a Distortion with a different magnet, so you might get the same shrill tone as before.

The 59 would add some bass, but probably not as much as the Custom, and the SD and PG are based on the 59, but each with slightly different adjustments that may balance the full spectrum.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Re: 7 String p\'up upgrade - input wanted

I've got a Custom-7/Jazz-7 in my Ibanez RG1527. They have been modded a bit to fit into the Ibanez body route (pole pieces clipped a bit and the mounting tabs were rounded off). I was assured by the Duncan rep that the mods would not affect the tone of the pickups, just that shortening the pole pieces would focus the magnetic pull a bit making it a bit hotter. If you're interested in swapping the Custom-7 for the Distortion-7 let me know.

Comment

Working...
      X