JT-6 Knife Edge Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 Knife Edge Question.

Is there anyway to restore/revive a knife edge on the JT-6? I'm trying to get a Model 5FX cleaned and set up. I noticed there's a chip broken out of the knife edge on the flat side. I was able to clean up the burrs left behind in this break. This reduced the problems I'm having keeping it in tune a bit, but it's still a bit off.

Re: JT-6 Knife Edge Question.

maybe you can replace the base plate, but i'm not sure if you can on jt-6's.........might be worth looking into though

Comment

That's what I was thinking.
      It might be better to start scrounging the pawn shops for something broken with an OFR.

Comment

Some people have had success cleaning up their JT-6 knife edges with a Dremel tool, but if you have a bad chip it might require taking off too much of that edge. The tricky part with replacing the baseplate is that you will most likely have to get it off of eBay or somewhere, so you won't be able to do a close inspection. You may end up with another one with issues. These things are all 17 or 18 years old now, and they really weren't built to last. You'll probably end up the happiest if you put a nice OFR or Schaller on there.

Comment

Removing too much of the edge is what I am afraid of. I just used a small half-round file to remove the burrs. I don't trust myself using a dremel on such a small area.
          Will an OFR or Schaller work with the JT-6 posts or would I have to pull, plug and re-drill the body?

Comment

you'll probably just have to pull the posts (and bushings) and replace them with OFR posts & bushings.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              Removing too much of the edge is what I am afraid of. I just used a small half-round file to remove the burrs. I don't trust myself using a dremel on such a small area.
              Will an OFR or Schaller work with the JT-6 posts or would I have to pull, plug and re-drill the body?

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">You're in luck, as they (OFR or Schaller) drop right in and the post spacing is the same and yes, you can use the original post and bushings in there now. Some bodies need a bit of enlarging around the trem arm socket if the trem has the old screw-in arm, but not very often that I have found. </font>
              Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Working...
              X