Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Locking Tuners for a USA Jackson(withough drillin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Tuners for a USA Jackson(withough drillin)

Hi all, my friend asked me to ask on the forum (currently doesnt have internet) for some help. HE has a 2000 or 2001 Soloist Sl1. Anyhow, one of the tuners on it went sour, and for the sake of easier string changes he wants to put on some locking tuners.

Anyhow, is there ANYTHING that will pop right in without doing any drilling or mods? Somethign that has an identical Screw hole? I sugggested the Planet Waves tuners because they auto trim and are quite handy, but im not sure if they will just drop right in.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Re: Locking Tuners for a USA Jackson(withough drillin)

A few months ago, I went on a search for drop-in-replacement locking tuners for a Jackson Dinky. Between searching the forums here and talking to my regular tech, I found that ALL locking tuners require some modification. I really haven't read or heard any favorable comments about the Planet Waves tuners, and apparently the shaft on them is just slightly bigger than stock Jackson/Gotoh tuners, so you'd still need to make some slight modifications.

I ended up just going with some Sperzels, and they've been working great.
    sigpic

Comment

Re: Locking Tuners for a USA Jackson(withough drillin)

Ina, but is there a nice hole there now from the old tuners?

Comment

Re: Locking Tuners for a USA Jackson(withough dril

i don't get the use of locking tuners if you have a locking nut........
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Delt, it's to keep from having to do a lot of winding around the post. ONce you get used to not having to do it, it's hard to go back to doing it. It is for me, anyway.

The exact tuners you're looking for are the Gotoh MagnumLocks. Identical to the Jackson tuners, but with the locking piece on top (no wheel in back like a Sperzel). I first discovered them on a MusicYo Kramer and have yet to find a good aftermarket source for them.

Other replacement locking tuners that will drop right in:

—Gotoh Locking Minis. AllParts sells them here. The major difference is the smaller button, which looks a little goofy on a Jackson pointy, IMO.

—Schaller Mini Locking. Best source for these is probably Warmoth, because they sell them by the piece rather than as sets. Inline sets are usually staggered height which is not only unnecessary on a tilt-back headstock, it can cause problems on the higher strings (the Fender headstocks they were designed to work with are thinner than Jackson headstocks). My only complaint about the Schallers is they are slightly heavier than most other keys, so can cause neck-heaviness on instruments that may already have balance issues. There are many pearloid/synthetic replacement buttons available for Schaller tuners that should lighten them, though.

—Grover Mini Lockings should also fit. Stew-Mac has them, but apparently not in black. The Grover buttons look goofy to me, but there are many replacement buttons available for Grover keys.
          please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

thanks necro!!!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              The exact tuners you're looking for are the Gotoh MagnumLocks. Identical to the Jackson tuners, but with the locking piece on top (no wheel in back like a Sperzel).

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but this isn't accurate. I bought a set, and they are NOT direct drop-in replacements. The shaft is wider on the locking versions, and would require some widening of the route through the headstock. This is most likely true for the other Gotohs mentioned, as they're very similar.

I doubt very seriously the Schallers or Grovers are drop-ins either. Some drilling or routing will be necessary to accomodate different sized routes and/or mounting screw placements.

Sorry, Necro, I don't mean to p**s on your parade. But as I understand the original request, he's looking for a direct drop-in replacement, with no modifications at all. I haven't been able to find one yet myself, not even from the OE manufacturer (Gotoh).

Comment

grover locking tuners may drop in, the holes seem to be a close match. i've got a set, and they're okay, but the e and b strings are kinda hard to get out when it's time for a string change. have you tried those, pat?

sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

On a side note, I'd stay away from those Planet Waves ones...we've had a few customers who've had them put on their guitars and have been unhappy with them, plus that little blade in there seems like just another thing that would wear out and have to be replaced after a while.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    grover locking tuners may drop in, the holes seem to be a close match. i've got a set, and they're okay, but the e and b strings are kinda hard to get out when it's time for a string change. have you tried those, pat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't tried them personally, Sully, but another JCF'r (...I forget who. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ) told me that neither the Grovers nor Schallers directly fit. Sperzels don't either.

The locking Gotohs were recommended. But when I bought a set, come to find out they don't work, either. Besides, the locking mechanism on the Gotohs is pretty cheesy.

Sorry, but I think Inazone's correct. There's isn't an easy answer to this one. At least, not that I've been able to find, either. I wish there were, though. I'd like to put locking tuners on my S-T Kelly. ...Actually, I wish Jackson made locking tuners standard on all of their string-through guitars.

Comment

Shreddermon, where to buy MagnumLocks aftermarket? Like I said, I've never seen them for sale separately. I don't prefer the design of the locking mechanism on Gotohs and Grovers, but they do work.

I took the MagnumLocks off a MusicYo Kramer and they dropped right into my USA KE-1 with no mods. But there is always the possibility on any given guitar that the holes might have to reamed out a little bit with a Dremel and a sanding tip to get them properly seated. YMMV.

The big deal is the way the holes through the headstock are drilled from the factory. USA Jacksons have that little "shoulder" in there, so the hole coming out the back is larger than the hole going through the front. Imports are drilled one size all the way through (or at least they used to be, anyway). Gotoh, Grover and Schaller designs can work with the shoulder. Sperzels, Planet Waves and Steinberger designs require the full bore all the way through. Modding is not a big deal, but I can understand why some people wouldn't want to do it.

Planet Waves are awesome, BTW, my favorite tuning keys. I've had them on an SL2H for about three years, no problems. Only complaint was that the inline set was staggered, so I couldn't use the two highest ones and had to buy another set to get two more tall ones. I put the low ones on my import KV-1 which has a thinner headstock.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Shreddermon, where to buy MagnumLocks aftermarket? Like I said, I've never seen them for sale separately. I don't prefer the design of the locking mechanism on Gotohs and Grovers, but they do work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I special ordered them through All Parts. Give them a call. However, at the time they weren't too keen on doing a special order. I had to convince them a little. Don't be surprised if they decline ordering parts they don't normally stock.

Comment

we're not opposed to doing a little mods to get the tuner through, the main concern is having the screw holes line up so that there isnt a leftover ugly hole!

I had those Music Yo Kramer locking tuners and they felt fairly junky!!!! The paint chipped really easily off of mine as well!

Comment

On a Soloist, I'd probably opt for the Schallers. I only use the MagnumLocks on my Kelly because of the weight and balance issues that guitar has.

Comment

I'm watching this thread. I'd like to know the same for my slsmg. Funny, I thought guitars were more universal... then I found this board.
                              www.myspace.com/madeaband
                              www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

Working...
                              X