Some Floyd Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Floyd Questions

Ok, first off, what exactly is a single locking floyd trem? Do the strings go through the block from the bottom like a vintage trem but it has the fine tuners without any locking features? Or do the strings just go through the casting somewhere. Its actually an old charvel branded one. I dont have it yet and the pic sucks. Also, where do you get a new block from? I need to use a short block trem for a surface mount guitar. So Im thinking I need to change the block to the long style. Are these hard to find? Is it the kind of thing that folks might have laying around in their parts bin? And finally is the single locking model ok for moderate trem usage or is it a waste of time that goes out of tune too much. Thanks.

Re: Some Floyd Questions

<font color="aqua">**Note, Admins, please feel free to add these pics to the tremolo info thread.

Ok, if the Charvels are the same as other single locking trems, then the string go through hollow tubes which are in place of the locking bolts as in this pic here:

Here's another image of the top:

The trems do work well for mild dive-bombing but not the aggressive type. As for the block replacement, I believe you should just ask in the classifieds but I also think that a place like "Allparts" carries those as well.</font>
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Check out apintl.com for their parts list. Or just buy a cheap "licensed" piece of junk on ebay and strip off the block. It will say "licensed under" on it, but who cares.
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
      The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Or just buy a cheap "licensed" piece of junk on ebay

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm................... [img]/images/graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          Check out apintl.com for their parts list. Or just buy a cheap "licensed" piece of junk on ebay and strip off the block. It will say "licensed under" on it, but who cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Comment

oops lol dbl post

Comment

Cool, thanks, Budman for those pics. A picture tells a thousand words, ya know? I'll have to look into getting the block and maybe Ill get lucky and the trem Im getting will have the long block. Ive also got a washburn licensed floyd coming too, hopefully, Ill have a home for both.

Comment

<font color="aqua">You're very welcome bro! </font>
                Dave ->

Comment

Ok, I got the trem. Looks cool, it works just like the one you posted. But its obvious that its been disassembled and put back together. Hes got the saddles going from highest on one side to lowest on the other. This is wrong, right? Shouldnt it be the highest ones in the middle and lower ones towards the ends to simulate the fretboard radius? Thats the way my strat floyd is. Also, Ive got 2 blocks, one has 42 stamped on it and one has 32 stamped on it. This is the long and short, right? Do they make a longer one than 42, Im guessing its mm.? Both of these are from schaller Charvel trems.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Ok, I got the trem. Looks cool, it works just like the one you posted. But its obvious that its been disassembled and put back together. Hes got the saddles going from highest on one side to lowest on the other. This is wrong, right? Shouldnt it be the highest ones in the middle and lower ones towards the ends to simulate the fretboard radius? Thats the way my strat floyd is. Also, Ive got 2 blocks, one has 42 stamped on it and one has 32 stamped on it. This is the long and short, right? Do they make a longer one than 42, Im guessing its mm.? Both of these are from schaller Charvel trems.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">Yes, the saddles should get higher towards the middle. The floyd blocks come in 32, 37, and 42 and yes, it's mm. </font>
                    Dave ->

Comment

Thanks, cool, Ive got my long block then. I guess I'll have some fun taking it all apart tonight. Thanks again. [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X