Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did SD ever make a gold covered SH-5 Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did SD ever make a gold covered SH-5 Custom?

I'm looking at upgrading my Epi LP and for the time being I would like to keep gold covered pups in 'er. SD's website doesn't list gold covered as an option on the Custom but there is currently one on ebay right now. Is it valid?
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Re: Did SD ever make a gold covered SH-5 Custom?

You can order a gold covered SH-5.

Call Darren Riley - he often has this sort of thing in stock - http://www.darrenriley.com
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Wow, Tim! Thank you, Sir, for the quick response and the link. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

There are a few possibilities

1. Aftermarket covers: Standard spaced covers can be put on any standard SD humbucker

2. OEM Pickup: The pickup was stock in an axe with gold hardware

3. SD Custom Shop: Self explanatory
        +
        4. (most Likely): SD will put a gold cover on ANY Production Humbucker (as of recently including trembuckers) as a Shop Floor Custom for a small upcharge [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

5. Sometime a few years back the "Classic Covers" Series was definitely also available w/ gold. If the sticker on the bottom says SH-5 or TB-5 (most likely followed by the Initial of the winder, ex. TB-5L), it´s chances of being legit are better.

But IMO it doesn´t matter. Putting on a Cover won´t damage the Pickup unless it was done with a Blowtorch instead of a Soldering Iron (Did someone just scream "NEWC"? [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] ). And SD pickups aren´t exactly "collectors items", although pre 1980 ones are interestingly enough starting to become a bit coveted...

Find out exactly what the sticker on the bottom says, then go to this link.... http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...r.shtml#labels

If it´s a Duncan, the code should be on one of the lists described in the first 3 lines [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanx Zerb! Question, though.... if an aftermarket cover is put on it, will it require potting?

Comment

I've never had problems with pups that i have removed the cover and then put back on, but if you want it potted, there is someone here on the board that does it for a small fee (can't remember who att he moment).

Comment

BTW, I have a custom in my Epi LP standard and it is a killer pup! it makes the stock ones sound like garbage, even though the stock ones are pretty decent.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                BTW, I have a custom in my Epi LP standard and it is a killer pup! it makes the stock ones sound like garbage, even though the stock ones are pretty decent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya! I too was pleasantly surprised by the stock pups in my LPC. It's just time for a change.

Comment

Yes, Duncan does do every pickup with a nickel or gold cover option:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website...r153Humbuckers

I was researching this when thinking about replacing the gold-covered JB/59n combo in my new Les Paul, but those pickups turned out killer so I abandoned my quest. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                  X