Paint experts - help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint experts - help!!

This is a question about the "triple thick clear glaze" (0500) clear-coat.......

I applied this over a Duplicolor "Mirage" flip-flop kit. The reason for choosing it was that i called Duplicolor to know what clear-coat would be compatible with the one that comes with their mirage paint, and they told me that any enamel-based laquer would do. At the store where i bought the krylon 0500 the guy told me that it was an enamel-based laquer (which apparently it's not) and that it's one of their hardest and most resistant clear coats.

On the can it says it dries in 2 hours, but after a few days it was still soft (could make fingerprints by pressing hard enough on it) so i called Krylon, and they told me i should give it a week or two and it will become very hard, because i applied several layers of different products (white primer, duplicolor base coat/color/clear, then the krylon) and that the whole finish needed to cure.

This was about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and the finish is still a bit soft. I did apply several heavy coats of it on top of the duplicolor, also in heavy coats.........

Maybe there isn't enough ventilation.... ? I put the neck back to hang it to dry, and i noticed the area behind the neck plate is much softer than the rest.

So, should i wait a while longer, or is it going to always stay like this?
    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Re: Paint experts - help!!

I think there's also temperature concerns on the can - like low 70s and no humidity being ideal or somethng? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    Plus, if the undercoats were not dried properly, the excess moisture of those layers is trying to come up to the top, which is now going to be a very slow process because of the extra layers.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

*boink*

HELP!!
      "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]

Comment

<font color="aqua">I think Matt (Newc) hit it right on the head, it probably wasn't allowed to dry thoroughly and as more and more coats were added, it sealed it's own "doom". Strip it and try again, it sucks, but we've all been there, numerous times I might add....... </font>
        Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

The last body I finished with laquer products, I let it dry nearly 7 months (damn Georgia humidity).

Comment

well, he said that it would be a very slow process, but eventually it will dry, right?

i was hoping someone was familiar with this specific krylon clear-coat (Jim Shine?) and could give me pointers as to what would be the best thing to do (ventilation, temperature, etc etc.....)

Comment

> The last body I finished with laquer products, I let it dry nearly 7 months (damn Georgia humidity).

Thanks for the tip (: (:

..... what if i put a fan pointing directly at it?

Comment

It will eventually dry, just be patient. With the amount of paint you piled on there in a relatively short amount of time, it's going to take a while. Putting a fan on it won't help. What you're now waiting on is for all of the solvents to evaporate from the many layers of paint. Don't try to speed the process by heating it or otherwise, you'll just harden the top layer more and cause cracks and separation as the underlying solvents try to escape. If you have some nice warm dry sunny days (say over 70 degrees), hanging it outside will help. Eventually you will have a nice hard finish you can polish up nicely. I'd say about two months max.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I wouldn't aim a fan at it. Just as some have said, leave it in a well-ventilated area in a climate-controlled environment if possible.

Comment

alright, thanks for the tips everyone!

Comment

Working...
                    X