Alder body...pup choice, EMG89 OR Dimarzio S Dist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alder body...pup choice, EMG89 OR Dimarzio S Dist

I need to make a choice on a guitar im gettign in the near future.

Ive NEVER tried active EMG's, and not sure if I'll see any benefit over passives. What advantage would I see on them over the Super D for example? Any major differences?

Are EMG's supposed to be better at blocking out noise by being active?

Just kidna curious, Im curious to try em, but its a fairly major decisions to make. Curious to know anyones opinion on the right choice to make.

Essentially I want a high gain / metal sound with bite, range, and good articulation!

Re: Alder body...pup choice, EMG89 OR Dimarzio S D

EMGs were designed to be less-noisy than high output passives. As for tone, that's subjective and can vary from guitar to guitar.

Personally I love the EMG 85. I plug it directly into my Mesa Dual and it just sounds great. No pedals or effects, just really decent tone.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Hmmm, tough choice. I love both the Super Distortion and the EMG 85 (the 89 is the same, just the ability to switch to the single coil SA).
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

That is a tough choice. I think that the Dimarzio will give you a more organic tone, but still good for metal. The EMG is great for high gain metal tones. My Rectifier sounds awesome with EMG's.

I'd go with the EMG. If for some reason you really hate the way it sounds, you can always flip it here and go for the Dimarzio.
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

You should check out some emgs for yourself if you get a chance. Some people love them while others cant stand them. I like them for some things, they are really cool for shred type stuff. They are articulate and easy to play through.

Comment

I love both passives and EMG`s, but the EMG`s are more quiet and great for metal. If you use effects and pedlas, I would go for the 81, if you plug and play the 85. Jack.

Comment

I think if you get an 81 you should have an EQ or don't give up on it until you try it with one. My EMG experience was in a bolt on Performer Rhoads, and it was way high output, but just seemed brittle. I would have liked to have been able to shape it a little with an EQ.
              When you take a shower in space, you have to press the water onto your body to clean yourself, and then you gotta vacuum it off. - Ace Frehley

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                I love both passives and EMG`s, but the EMG`s are more quiet and great for metal. If you use effects and pedlas, I would go for the 81, if you plug and play the 85. Jack.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm i never thought of that, i dont really like the 81's, i think 85s sounds alot better. i dont use effects or pedals except for more chunk.

Comment

Working...
                X