22 vs. 24 frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 vs. 24 frets

Kinda a simple question. Can I use a 22 fret jackson pointy neck on a Jackson dinky body that was meant for a 24 fret pointy neck? Is the scale the same? Will it intonate? It looks like it would work. Is it just a matter of the neck pickup not being in the "sweet spot" or is it a no go.

Re: 22 vs. 24 frets

I don't think so. The scale isn't the problem. I think the pocket is deeper(closer to the bridge) on a 24 fret body. if you can get it together, measure from the nut to the saddles on the bridge. It should be around the scale length (probably 25.5")
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Ah, I see. So its not just lack of fretboard overhang, the pocket is physically bigger and a 22 fret neck will leave a gap above the neck pickup?

Comment

Right. Or if you set the 22 fret neck tight into the pocket, it would not intonate at all. Warmoth 24 fret necks are 22 fret neck blanks with the fret board extended so they would work with 22 fret bodies.
        "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Hmm, I was afraid of that. I guess when the parts arrive, Ill have to decide which to replace, the body or the neck. Thanks.

Comment

D'oh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ask first next time! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

You can shim the rear of the pocket to match the difference between the two neck heels and drill new bolt holes. Get a tall enough shim and you can put a couple more frets on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                D'oh! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Ask first next time! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, it sounds stupid but I got such a great deal on the neck that I figured I could easily flip it for lots more than I paid or I might be able to trade it. Its from a Rhoades EX pro so if its as mint as it looks I might decide to go in that direction body wise. Projects are fun!!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  You can shim the rear of the pocket to match the difference between the two neck heels and drill new bolt holes. Get a tall enough shim and you can put a couple more frets on it [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I can get a custom pickup ring to cover the gap. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was thinking of routing that nasty single coil to a double anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

What i did on my project 24-fret Rhoads is i brought the whole bridge cavity about 2/3" closer to the neck, instead of the other way around. Much more work and harder to do, but it was worth it..... i don't think i would have liked it as much if half the neck was sticking into the body......

For the pickup cavities, i blocked them with fiberglass and re-did new ones, hum/single/hum - bet you never saw a rhoads with h/s/h [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

delt some pics of this cool rhoads?

Comment

as soon as i get my hands on a digicam (: (: i'll probably borrow my brother's cam when i can reach him.
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Actually there was a h-s-h Rhoads on Ebay sometime last year. It looked stupid, IMO. Of course it was also baby blue.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X