Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Kahler and Floyd Roses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Kahler and Floyd Roses?

The way it seems to be me is that a Kahler is like a 'Bigsby in a box'. It's compact but there seems to be a rod where the strings are attached that you can turn like an axle. Is that so? Where is the double locking mechanism if so? I've looked at loads of pictures but I still can't figure it out, the saddles being placed before the axle.

Re: Difference between Kahler and Floyd Roses?

Kahlers aren't double locking. The string ball-end sits in a little claw. As for how they work, they are not like a Bigsby where the strings are anchored at the "axle" as you call it. The string claws are located behind the pivot point. The saddles are in front of the pivot, and do not move. That's why the saddles have brass rollers on them, to allow the strings to move back and forth.
    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Kahler has made FR style trems as well. I have a 2700 model. It's weird - the strings go though the locks, which when tightened "pinch" the string, locking it. This way, you have locking without cutting the balls.

Comment

the difference is
        KAHLERS RULE [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

i prefer floyds myself (original, not licensed junk)
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Kahler has made FR style trems as well. I have a 2700 model. It's weird - the strings go though the locks, which when tightened "pinch" the string, locking it. This way, you have locking without cutting the balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, cutting the balls, I hate when that happens. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Ive got a spyder on my HM strat. Is there a number designation to the spyder? It seems to work well for me.

Comment

there are also like 10 million different kahler models-spyders, steelers, pros, traditionals, fixed bridge models, and god knows what else. I believe the spyders and steelers are the most "floyd-like" IIRC, but when most people talk about kahlers they are talking about the flatmount ones that have the cam/roller setup. I have one on my model four, and it is a quality made item. I don't think it is quite as stable as a good old OFR, but it takes about 2 minutes to change the strings. It also is adjustable for individual string height as well as string spacing which is kind of nice. I kind of like them, some people hate them, some people swear by them (Kerry King from slayer uses them exclusively, right?)

Comment

I like em too. Ive got a flyer on my NJ warlock.The other poster just mentioned the 2700 and I wondered if the spyder had a number designation also. One good thing about the flyer is that a bar from any old import vintage trem seems to fit and work fine. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

I prefer an OFR over a Kahler. the kahler's not bad but you can't attack the bar as much, on the flip side changing strings is a lot quicker and you can use alternate tunings
                  without too much trouble either.
                  If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

What Nick said pretty much, but I do like kalhers and use them pretty interchangably with a floyd for my playig style.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      Kerry King from slayer uses them exclusively, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both he and Jeff Hanneman uses them on their respective sig models, and how they stay in tune with they're trem abuse, I have no idea!!
                      Also, Jerry Cantrell has em on a couple G&L's of his. A lot fewer well-knowns are using them nowadays compared to 10 years ago.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Kahlers can withstand a lot more trem abuse than people think, but you have to set them up right and care for them. If your only exposure to Kahler was a gummed up version off a 20yo guitar, then no doubt you have a negative opinion of them. If you set them up right, keep them clean, keep the rollers oiled and turning freely, and tin the ball ends of your strings, they will stand up to the kind of abuse Kerry King dishes out. I'll dump and yank the hell out of the bar all practice long with no problems.

Comment

Noodles is right, Chucksplatter gave me some pointers on
                          keeping mine in tune and it does stay in tune really pretty
                          well, but I like the feel of the floyd better than the Kahler.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

I think just like anything else, if it is what you are used to, it will be more comfortable to you. If you have been playing guitars with FLoyds for 20 years, a Kahler is goijg to feel kind of strange. I am not a whammy abuser, so mine stays in tune great. I even had my model 4 in the case for over a month without playing it, pulled it out and it was still in tune perfectly. They are also not as vulnerable to pulling sharp if you rest your hand on it like a floyd is.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              the difference is
                              KAHLERS RULE [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I second that statement,they are much easier to intonate,and I find the kahler pro much more comfortable
                              www.myspace.com/goreality1

Comment

Working...
                              X