Is my tech nutz?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my tech nutz?

So, got my new Jackson, (see the thread I had to hijack to give you an idea of its appearance [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ) and it needs to be set up. I believe it came with 11's, as I normally use 9-10's, so I changed em when I got home to 10's. The problem I have basically, is alot of fret buzz/fretting out below the 5th fret.

The guy I intend to set it up, has told me, since we tune to d, then drop the d to c, that he can only insure a decent setup if he uses 11's due to tension issues.

It all makes sense when on paper, but this guitar was purchased for shredding upon, and I'm not sure 11's are going to cut it. I know they wont be as tense being tuned down, but it begs the question; how could anyone even use 8-9's tuned to A440 while not buzzing at least a little?
    Am I begging someone to screw my neck up by getting it set up to a lower tuning with lighter guage strings? Are there any other ill-effects associated with lower string guage/lower tuning aside from fret buzz?
    I just feel like, the money I paid should justify playability better than my $200 used mexican strat, with no ill effects, of course.
    And again, well met.
    Troy
    [img]/images/graemlins/what.gif[/img]
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Re: Is my tech nutz?

I tend to agree with your tech. Drop C tuning is extremely low for 10's. Even if you could get the neck relief right to reduce the lower-fret buzz, those strings are gonna be flopping around.

Comment

for a drop tuning i´d always prefer a "skinny top heavy bottom style" set of strings
      i think thats the best compromise
      you can have your thinn strings to solo
      he can have the thick ones to setup the low c correctly

btw i use EB beefy slinky for my C-standard tuning

Comment

Thanks for the input. I guess I just never tried to play 11's much. I spose after it's set up correctly (action-wise) the higher guage probably won't affect the playability too much. It's just kinda high at the moment, and with the way it currently plays, I think 11's and the thought of pain follows shortly thereafter.
        [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

The string tension is lessened by the lower tuning,the strings won't feel much stiffer than .009's tuned to A440!!

Comment

Thats what I was thinking as well, just wasnt sure how much it would actually affect the tension I guess. I can live with that though, easily.

Comment

I would imagine your strat neck is a little less sensitive to changes in string tension since they tend to be a bit thicker than Jackson=type necks. I agree that the most noticeable difference will bw the ehavier strings, so a "custom" string guage may be the best bet.

Comment

How about this, I'm a pretty smart fellow, and knowing how I want my guitar to play, I'm thinking about setting it up myself. I think I can safely do it without breaking anything. Theres plenty of how-to's on this board, what I'm not seeing many of, are what-no-to-do's. I'm sure a neck adjustment is in the picture, as well as action. The only thing I won't attempt is nut-shimming. Any advice, or resounding "whatever you do, do do XXXXXX" before I begin? I'll use 11's as to have correct tension as well.

Comment

I use DR 10-56 Jeff Healey Signature strings for E-D, I love the snap they have. DR overall have a smoother feel than any other strings I have tried. Check them out.

Comment

The only thing to be careful about is truss-rod adjustment - mainly so you don't snap it off and break it. You should only turn it about a 1/4 turn or so max and let it settle for a couple hrs before turning it again if need be. And if you encounter a *lot* of resistance when tightening it, it might be at it's max limit.

Otherwise, it's mainly trial and error. Good luck!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I use the light tops, and thick bottoms when I'm tuning down. I don't use EB strings, they are having QC issues as of late.

Comment

These are the only mistakes I've made while doing setups:

- If you have buzz at the first fret, DO NOT use a knife to carve a slot in the first fret to clear the string.

- If the neck heel is too wide for the pocket, DO NOT use the same knife to whittle the heel down so that it fits.

If after you've done this to the neck you discover something that needs to be pried up, like a floorboard, feel free to use the neck for that. If it has a scarf joint, it might not make it.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

For my Jackson Dinky with 25.5" scale, I tune to D and Drop C, I use Ernie Ball Power Slinkies (purple package) 11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 48. Works great!! I've used 10-46 for years and didn't want something much heavier, but I like really dig this gauge. I also use that gauge now on my LTD Eclipse in standard tuning with 24.75" scale and in Eb on my Carvin with 25" scale.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

LMAO Grandturk...

Comment

I prefer the light top heavy bottoms. I use Dean Markley 10-52s on all my guitars, and tune D drop C. No issues whatsoever.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X