Q about clear coat scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q about clear coat scratches

Can we make the guitar nice shiny, and scratchless again, without having to strip down everything and repaint?

Re: Q about clear coat scratches

Depends on how deep. 1200 then 1500 grit wetsand paper then buff and polish. When wetsanding hold your fingers together and as flat as possible, you can actually sand finger marks into clear if your not careful. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

get a random orbital buffer from home depot for $20. also get some fine cut rubbing compound and some swirl remover. try that first before you start sanding anything. you'll more than likely be able to get it blindingly shiny with just that.

and it's always best to block sand finishes (if you do go that route)

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

that's what i was about to say about using a sanding block..... isn't it better to do flat surfaces with a sanding block, and bevels etc. with your finger(s)?
        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

nope. i learned that the hard way when i was sanding and put finger marks. you ESPECIALLY want to use a block on bevels so that you keep them nice and sharp. it's pretty easy to oversand them and make them rounded and uneven.

granted, if you're just doing a little of what i call "finish rejuvenation" and trying to get out light clear coat scratches, it may not be as critical. but that's still not something i'd want to take a chance with.

for this particular situation, i really think he's best served with a buffer and some compound. hell, he even may get by with swirl remover only. it's easy to take off too much clear when sanding, and once you do that, you're in trouble.

sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            nope. i learned that the hard way when i was sanding and put finger marks. you ESPECIALLY want to use a block on bevels so that you keep them nice and sharp. it's pretty easy to oversand them and make them rounded and uneven.

granted, if you're just doing a little of what i call "finish rejuvenation" and trying to get out light clear coat scratches, it may not be as critical. but that's still not something i'd want to take a chance with.

for this particular situation, i really think he's best served with a buffer and some compound. hell, he even may get by with swirl remover only. it's easy to take off too much clear when sanding, and once you do that, you're in trouble.

sully

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="aqua">excellent advice sully, as the only places I don't use a block under the paper, is on points, radii, and sharp edges. </font>
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

ditto here
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

what the hell is a radii?
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

multiple radius-es...
                  [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  www.myspace.com/madeaband
                  www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

i.e.-round things

Comment

<font color="aqua">

Delt:

This is a very helpful website:

Dictionary.com

radii = ra·di·i = A plural of radius </font>
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        i.e.-round things

[/ QUOTE ]
                        I wish my English class was like that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've never buffed a guitar before, I'm going to have to try it now.

Comment

Working...
                        X