• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD soloist bass in japan

floating around over there somewhere

chris

Re: SD soloist bass in japan

Mmmmmm. Piezo [img]/images/graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Damn, thats nice, and Im assuming a Custom Shop jobby? Id like to see some gold hardware on her!

Comment

They were all Custom Shop at that time. I had a black Piezo Concert Bass serial number under J1000. Sold it because the wires were literally ripped out from the saddles and I couldn't find replacements that would retrofit.

Comment

Nice. You found it in Japan?

Comment

i saw it on a site but it was sold so its floating around there somewhere hopefully getting taken care of and used to rock hard!

chris

Comment

A friend in New Orleans had a sweet Black & Blue Bengal (original, not Lynch) piezo bass and it kicked ass. His trade-in was a Gold Sparkle Astro Star bass that was "autographed" (if you can call carving your name in something with a knife 'autographed') by Suzanna Hoffs.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

coolest bass that I have ever seen!

Comment

I have also San Dimas bass which I bought from Guitarden. But it´s student bass and not so cool as your custom...

Comment

Is that a Dimas? It's got the large control cavity. How do piezo basses sound? My old SD Concert bass had EMGs, which I would think would be better for such a metalhead-looking bass.

Comment

As a finger-style bass player, how the hell do you anchor your thumb when playing the low E on a bass with no pickup or thumbrest?

Nice minimalist look, but I'd have a serious time trying to play that.

- E.
                      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

You don't anchor your thumb, you anchor your wrist/forearm or you develop a "floating" style [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Made In USA under the 'N', gotta be a Dimas. As for how they sound - excellent. They work just fine for 80's Metal. Probably won't handle Motorhead and such.
                        But the transducers were very fragile and would break from the vibrations.

Comment

I've never played a Piezo system...but I don't think I would like it that much. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I tend to favor neck pickups on all my basses, because I get more string travel there and get a meatier bass tone. Bridge pickups get favored if I have to get cutting distortion and more treble like Motorhead. Piezo just seems to go too far into the treble end.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I've never played a Piezo system...but I don't think I would like it that much. [img]/images/graemlins/poke.gif[/img] I tend to favor neck pickups on all my basses, because I get more string travel there and get a meatier bass tone. Bridge pickups get favored if I have to get cutting distortion and more treble like Motorhead. Piezo just seems to go too far into the treble end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't played a Piezo system either, but it isn't like a traditional pickup; meaning that just because it sits in the bridge, that doesn't mean it sounds like a bridge pickup. I think they just pick up the body/string vibrations better when installed in the bridge. I know on a regualr guitar, they have a very nice acoustic-guitar quality to them.

I'd love to install one in my SLATQH.

- E.
                            Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

*WOW* i've never seen anything like that before! thats freakin' sweet!

Comment

Working...
                              X