JT580LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580LP

Anyone had experience of this trem knocking the strings about an 1\8 step sharp every time you even use the bar once?

Re: JT580LP

I had a Jackson/Takeuchi JT580LP on my Jackson KE3 and abused it quite violently. I never had any problems with it. I made sure to lock both ends securely as well as stretching the strings at every string change.

Make sure your posts and knife edges aren't worn out. That might be a contributing factor.

Comment

Do you hear a sound around the nut or saddles when you use the trem hard? One of the strings could be hanging up a bit on a saddle or in the nut, but this is more of an issue with Vintage/Fender style trems. I hear this noise on my JT6 (usually the G or B string) if the locking nut isn't tight enough, adding a little graphite to the slots in the nut(regular nut, not the locking nut, my 5FX has both) helped a bit too.

Comment

right, i'm sure both r ****, i can get new posts but cant find replacement base plates, since mines a lefty

Comment

Hey cobhc whats happened with some of the 580lps is this the knife edge on the trem comes slightly flat I just got my DK-2 & had this problem when I set it up with new strings & the gauge I like the first thing I did was check for this problem. This happened on my other DK-2, after set up, I worked the trem like you said & it was pitching sharp sometimes a little flat basically it had a knotch in the trem. Not the post but the knife edge. I just kept working the trem arm really heavy abuseing the hell out of it till I basically wore the knife edge sharp on mine this might not work on yours but it has worked in both my DK-2s. Good luck.
          According To The Prophecy

Comment

licensed floyds are junk
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              licensed floyds are junk

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Care to elaborate on that statement?
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

well if didnt have to change the stud inserts on the body of my ps3tl then i'd have an original floyd, but as far as i know its a fucker to remove them

Comment

drake, just tried your trick and they still go out of tune, strings r stretched, everything is locked tight, so i guess the knife edges r ****, i'll take it apart tomorrow night and take some pics if i can, any ideas in the meantime?

Comment

Check if the inserts for the posts are loose in the body. The treble side insert came loose in mine, rocking slightly as I used the trem. I could pick it right out of the body without any tools. Some glue should take care of that problem, if that's what it is.

While I agree that the JT580LP is better than most junk trems out there, it's still junk. I ruined the knife edges on mine just by adjusting the pivot posts while it was strung up. It also had some slack in the saddles and a trem bar that wouldn't fit 100%. It is junk. It just doesn't suck as much as the rest of the junk out there.

Comment

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

i looked at that place. did the edges and rounded the posts myself with some sandpaper, though i put some chapstick on the contacts too and i suspect that is what helped, because i dont have the problem now. if i come back up to rest it's always in tune, just remember to tune while the trem has returned from a dive. good luck having it return to zero from both diving and pulling up though. ive just developed the habit of giving the bar a whack(down direction) after all my whammy shinanigans. chapstick

Comment

In that case, what modding do i need to do in order to replace a jt580lp with an original floyd?

Comment

The only "modding" you need to do to replace it with an OFR, is to replace the posts. You need to be careful with that though; You don't want to crack the wood around the inserts - that would pretty much ruin the guitar. There used to be a thread about replacing the trem posts in this section. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Apart from that, an OFR should fit right in. Some people have reported that they had to shave some finish off the sides of the trem route to make it go clear, but for the most part it should just be a "drop-in" operation. However, it's an expensive replacement...

I now have a Schaller Floyd in mine, and I'm very satisfied with it. The Schaller is noticably smaller than the JT580LP though, so it looks a little odd on there (it doesn't quite fill the route). I did my replacement work with a pair of pliers, a hammer and a sawn-off drumstick - and learnt after the fact that this is NOT the way to do it. =) But I was lucky not to damage anything, and the new trem works great after a bit of a break-in period.

Comment

what about the route length because of the screws coming out of the back of an ofr?

Comment

ok, im really fucked off with it now lol, it hardly ever stays in tune anymore, and when i lock the nuts, the G string goes way out of tune every single time, should i replace it with an OFR, if it's fairly simple, or anyone have any solution to my tuning problems?

Comment

Working...
                              X