3 Guitars in one? (not literally)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Guitars in one? (not literally)

I have a 2000? mexican strat that I'm wanting to do some work on. As I would like to spend as little money as possible, I want to, while preserving its "strat-ness", make it a OFR shred machine and a backup to my EMG equipped LP. I was thinking of installing an OFR, EMGs in HSH with 60s (or whatever the one that can be coil split) in the neck and bridge and S in the middle(I think that was the more traditional strat like single they make), and possibly a new Warmoth neck (a big maybe, since the neck on it is actually very nice). I would wire it up with one vol, one tone (with a push-pull for coil splitting) with standard strat configuration on a 5 way, and maybe an EMG Afterburner or something of that nature. Will that all work? Will it still sound like a strat if I want it to? Easier (and cheaper) to just to buy a 90-94 jackson pro? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 3 Guitars in one? (not literally)

nevermind about the 60s, it turns out it's the 89s I want for the bridge and the neck, and maybe the SV for the bridge. Never heard anything about the SV though.

Comment

Weigh the cost of the Floyd, pickups, and custom h-s-h Strat pickguard AND having someone do the work on it (if you aren't going to do it yourself) against the cost, convenience, and "having-it-now-ness" of getting a Jackson [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you want a cheap shred guitar with OFR, try finding a used Kramer.

Fong

Comment

The problem is with where you're starting. You'd be putting all that work and money into a crappy MIM body, and once you do all that, it will never sound like a strat again.

I would sell or trade that for a Jackson DK2, or if you want to stick with the cheap strats, find one of the MIM floyd rose equipped ones.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Tand once you do all that, it will never sound like a strat again.

[/ QUOTE ]
            That's all I needed to hear. If anyone wants to corroborate, that's be cool, but I beleive you. I really don't know much about all this hardware stuff. Plus, I was hoping it would be cheaper than a new guitar, cuz I know I'll get a ton of shit from my parents, who just bought me my amazing (and way too expensive) LP for christmas, and from my guitar teacher who says there are things that would get me more bang for my buck for my sound and what I need than another new guitar.

Comment

Working...
            X