Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the inevitable........

finally cracked a neck
    caused a hairline split in the neck of my ibanez RG550 going straight down between the headstock and neck above the scark joint

i had put 10-52's on it a few weeks ago and set the neck up, noticed the crack today, it is about 7/8th of an inch

what should i expect to pay to have this fixxed? and what will the proper procedure be to have it fixxed?

anybody on this board offer this service (neck needs a refret too)?

thanx....greatly appreciated

Re: the inevitable........

Hairline split? Get a bottle of Elmer's Carpenter's Glue and a clamp with rubber/foam tips (Stanley makes a nice one with a wide mouth and a tight grip - look in WalMart). Remove the strings completely, squirt some glue into the crack, clamp it as tight as you can on either side of the neck, if it's running the length of the neck (1st to last fret), or if it's running from E to E, then don't clamp it.
    Wipe off the excess glue, and lay the neck fretboard-up across something so the headstock is NOT supported. Let gravity pull the neck backwards.

You CAN clamp it, but the clamp would probably have to sit right on top of the glue, which means you can't wipe off the excess that oozes out, and the clamp will probably stick to the neck.

If you DO have enough room to clamp the neck without getting on the crack, go back every so often and try to squeeze the clamp one more click, and wipe off the excess glue again.
    Let it sit for a couple of days and then string it back up.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

ok, i kinda follow you, put glue in the crack and then

clamp the neck over the crack? meaning one side of the clamp on the fretboard and one side on the crack

OR do you mean clamp the neck to something (table/chair)

thanx much, the help is very appreciated!

Comment

it´ll help you to get the glue in the crack if you:
        1. (while putting the glue in) twist/bend that neck to a position the crack opens as wide as possible
        2. take a strip (1" x 10") of heavy paper to smear/sweep/draw/pull the glue as deep as possible into the crack
        best luck

Comment

ok but how should i set up the clamp, great info thus far but i am a little confused

thanx

Comment

A syringe will work wonders getting glue in that crack, also. Look for a 18-20 gauge if you can find one.

Comment

thanx thumbs up! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X