Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to JE-1000 with J-50BC pup ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to JE-1000 with J-50BC pup ?

Hi.
    I was wondering if the Seymour duncan Pickup Booster could make a good alternative to the JE-1000 preamp to use with my J-50BC pickup ?
    I will not try to lie to you : i'm looking a soft Laiho/Latvala soloing sound [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] (yeah another one...)

Anyway here some info on the thing :

"Seymour Duncan pickup booster preamp. Same circuit and features as the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster Pedal but on a miniature circuit board (1"x3/4") for installation inside the instrument. Get all of the advantages of active pickups and have instant gain available with the twist of a knob. Crank up the gain to overdrive your amp to the ultimate distortion. Used by Jackson on USA Firestorm models!

Features

* True bypass
    * Fully discrete class A circuit design
    * Noise: -120 dB (referred to input with gain set at 25dB)
    * Gain Adjustable from 6dB to 25 dB "

I think that the JE-1000 only add 6dB to the pup and is mainly a peak frequency booster but who knows...

Also, does any of you j-50BC owners have experimented a preamp (circuitry/pedal...) that is close to the JE-1000 sonically ?

Thanks for your help guys.
    Great Forum !

Re: Alternative to JE-1000 with J-50BC pup ?

I have that exact unit in my 750xl. It is comparable. I use it in conjunction with a Vol and no switch. Works fine.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

dude, just ask around on the forum a bit, worked for me, i left a post saying i wish i could find a je-1000 and i got a PM asking if i wanted to buy one, i am also looking for the laiho/latvala tone, when my je-1000 comes, all i need is an engl/vht poweramp and a jcm900 cab and i have the laiho/latvala sound, good luck man

Comment

EMG PA-2 works as well, including a little adjuster so you can control the amt of boost.

Comment

i'm going to try the PA-2 with emg hz-4 very soon too in my rr1

Comment

i have a pa-2 in my rhoads and i like it a lot. It's a flat booster tho, it doesn't eq or re-shape the frequencies in any way.... but i do find that even at 0db (no boost) it gives a slight "active" sounding edge to the pickups - i use kent armstrong ultra-dist's in that guitar, which are the fkkn LOUDEST passive pickups you'll ever encounter.

anyway, the pa-2 is a good friend of mine [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Hey guys, thank you for your answers !

But guess what ? I was able to find a like-new Je-1000 on eBay ! I will give you news when i'll install it.

In all case, i expect my new J-50BC + Je1000 combination to be better than my actual EMG81.

Another thing : my je1000 is the simplest version, that also means that the trim pot doesn't have a on/off mini switch.
              I think it must be fairly easy to put one on it.

Has anybody ever tried to do so ?

Comment

Congrats ash.
                Record some stuff after you installed it !!

Comment

Thread ressurection time!
                  I'm also curious on the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster preamp.
                  I couldn't find much info about it on the web.
                  Will this basically be like having the SD booster pedal built into your guitar?
                  So you'd have a booster anywhere the guitar goes?
                  Seems like a pretty cool feat.. Is a pickguard required to install it?
                  I'm looking at maybe having one installed in my Zion strat (h/s/s), but it doesn't have a pickguard..
                  Can anyone here tell me something about this? It would be greatly appreciated
                  "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Anyone?
                    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

You might want to check the Duncan forum. http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/index.php
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                      X