Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floyd nut mutes strings

hey guys,

I'm having some problems with my SL2H, the floyd nut seems to be slightly muting the D and B strings when clamped. I only use moderate pressure but it still does it.
    It is definitely not fret buzz. I also noticed that the two screws holding it in place are pretty loose, should I tighten them and would that help the problem or make it worse? [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

thanks for your insight [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

- Rune.

Re: floyd nut mutes strings

Tighten the two mounting screws, and clamp the nut down tighter. If you don't clamp them tight enough, they vibrate under the clamps and can be muted.

You could also need new strings.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

thanks Newc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] the strings are almost brand new, I change regularly so no problem there. I'll tighten the screws and clamp harder and we'll see how it goes [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

heh, gonna have to eat my words...seems like there is a slight buzz of the B string on the first fret. looks like there is a tiny backbow in the neck...so gonna need a truss adjustment for some relief! back to the drawing board...

Comment

If it's buzzing at the 1st fret, I'm thinking you may need to shim the nut. Adding relief is often the answer for buzz problems of the lower frets, but there is so little distance between the nut & the 1st fret that adjusting the trussrod shouldn't have much effect.

Harrald had a similar problem a few weeks ago:

This Thread

Comment

Working...
          X