Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dunlop Dual Design Straploks - awesome!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dunlop Dual Design Straploks - awesome!!!

Thanks to Toejam for recommending the Dunlop Dual Design Straploks to replace the tiny strap pins on my ESP/Edwards Les Paul! I picked up a set of gold Straploks yesterday and installed them today.

http://jimdunlop.com/products/access...cks/index.html

I am not sure why I never liked locking strap pins before. But, I took the chance and now I like them plenty! They were easy to install into the guitar and onto the strap. I now see what people mean when they say they can use one strap for multiple guitars equipped with locking-compatible strap pins. However, my two electric guitars are different shapes (Soloist and Les Paul) so I need different strap lengths to make them equal height. I supposed they will be useful that way if I had multiple Les Pauls. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I might get a chrome set for my Soloist somewhere down the road, but there's already huge strap pins on that guitar, so it may be overkill and a waste of money.

The instructions say you should remove your old strap pins and then drill a new 1/8 inch hole in place of the old hole, and go about an inch deep. I did not do this, and instead tried to install the new strap pin and screw directly. I ended up chipping a tiny bit of paint and clearcoat around the old hole, but it was mostly covered by the new strap pin when flush against the body. Next time, I will definitely do as the instructions say... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Overall, I really like these Dunlop Straploks. Maybe not worth the 30 bucks Canadian I spent on them, but they're cool anyhow. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] And they're damn tough... [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

Verdict: Try 'em, you might like 'em! If they were $20 Canadian, I'd give them a 10/10 rating.

Re: Dunlop Dual Design Straploks - awesome!!!

$9.99 a set at musicians friend. I just bought 3 sets each of chrome dual design & original's about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Comment

<font color="aqua">NOTP, I think I may have a nickel pair of these for you if you'd like them for free. </font>
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Musician's Friend isn't so much a friend to Canada; They don't ship up here for whatever reason! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got these on every guitar I play live with.

The dual design buttons are great....you can use a standard strap with out the locks if you should need to.

I've always liked the Dunlop straplocks better than the Schaller ones.

Comment

Yeah, these were about 10 bucks Canadian more expensive than the Schaller ones I saw. The Dunlop Dual Designs looked nicer, so I bought them.

Yup, Toejam recommended these Dual Designs to me for that very reason! It's great because if you decide to sell the guitar, the strap buttons still work like any good strap buttons, and nobody's obligated to buy Dunlop Straploks to use them! [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Oops, didn't see Budman's response before. A series of PMs shall commence right now... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I've got these on every guitar I play live with.

The dual design buttons are great....you can use a standard strap with out the locks if you should need to.

I've always liked the Dunlop straplocks better than the Schaller ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats exactly what I was going to say. I put them on all my guitars, I like them alot better than the Schallers, and the Dual Design is really cool in the sense that you dont have to have your own strap to play.

Comment

Glad you like them! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I usually prefer the Schallers over the two other Dunlop versions, but the Dual Design is very cool for just using a regular strap with no problem. Hamer uses these buttons standard on their guitars but you have to buy the locking part to put on your strap separate if you want the locking feature. The locking feature isn't really necessary since the flange is bigger on these and they hold so well. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                  The instructions say you should remove your old strap pins and then drill a new 1/8 inch hole in place of the old hole, and go about an inch deep. I did not do this, and instead tried to install the new strap pin and screw directly. I ended up chipping a tiny bit of paint and clearcoat around the old hole, but it was mostly covered by the new strap pin when flush against the body. Next time, I will definitely do as the instructions say... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
                  Yeah, the screws seem a little bigger and can be problematic in some guitars. I put those on my old Model 6 and wound up stripping the screw heads out and still had about 1/4" more to put them in. [img]/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] I had to take it to a shop and have the screws cut and drilled out and epoxy put on the top horn because of my mistake. Definitely do what the instructions say! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

I'll never use the Dunlops again...had two sets crap out on me almost landing my Les Pauls on the floor. As those small bearings wear down you lose the locking ability....bad design IMO.

The Schallers are MUCH better....the bearings MAY wear out, however, you have that extra collar on it to catch the whole guitar if it does...it is a TRUE dual lock system.

Comment

hmmm very strange.....ive got dunlop strap locks on all my bcrichs they were factory installed back in 78-82, yeah my newest one is an 82. NOT one of them has failed. BUT double check that they are actually locked in, they changed the location of the ridge / bearing at some point. so older strap sides dont always lock into the newer buttons.

if any one has any of the NON dual design ones iIl trade ya, for dual design or schaller strap locks.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        Musician's Friend isn't so much a friend to Canada; They don't ship up here for whatever reason! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They run about a buck more at music123.com, &amp; they'll ship to Canada. Don't know why the Fiend won't ship there. [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                          I'll never use the Dunlops again...had two sets crap out on me almost landing my Les Pauls on the floor. As those small bearings wear down you lose the locking ability....bad design IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
                          I've heard other people say that, too. I know Xenophobe also had at least one bass that dropped because of them. I've never had a problem with the locking feature, though.

Comment

I swear by my Schallers also. I won't use anything else.

Comment

1st off, if you have long hair, STAY AWAY FROM THE SHALLERS!
                              you'll constantly have to pull the knob out and pull your hair out of it and its a pain in the ass.

2nd. the pull knob is a screw and very often comes unscrewed. i've had the strap come off while playing because of it. before you play you need to take the strap off, stick you finger in the pocket and hold the nipple and screw the knob back tight.

both are good systems and both have there flaws. shallers catch you hair, come unscrewed, and have no lip on there buttons. dunlops can wear out and fail.

take your pick.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X