Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck Strength questions for figured woods??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Strength questions for figured woods??

OK. I have read some conflicting opinions about the strength of figured woods for necks. Some people say that figured woods like birdseye maple or flamed maple arent strong enough for guitar necks and will warp over time. I am currently thinking about a custom shop double neck guitar and I want teh necks and fingerboards done in figured maple. So obviously I want to have a strong and straight neck for the life of the guitar. I am certainly willing to go with standard maple if it means more strength and better longevity and stability. Figured woods look beautiful, but I dont want to compromise strength for looks. What can you all tell me about this?
    Jackson offers figured maple for necks and fretboards, so I assume does that mean they are strong enough.....but are they? I have heard talk of graphite rods installed too...

Please offer any info you can. Its greatly appreciated. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, After some research, if I do decide to do this, Its gonna be with Jackson. I will eat my words about not waiting 1 to 2 years. I REALLY want a Jackson, and I think I will not be happy with a different brand, especially when I am forking out so much cash.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Re: Neck Strength questions for figured woods??

You can have Graphite Rods installed at an upcharge of (I think) 240 Bucks per neck. Keep the beautiful figuring, know that the neck will never cause problems.

Figured woods (w/ the possible exception of Birdseye, which is a bit of a mystery) are inherently weaker than the same tree if it weren´t figured, because Flame and Quilt are the results of wind causing the tree to bend.

In addition, most quilt and Flame you see on guitars (esp. tops) is Big Leaf maple, often also called soft maple. Wht is known as "Hard Rock" maple is a slightly different tree that also grows IIRC on the other US Coast (essentially, of course most temperate trees can be found in many different places around the world).

In a nutshell, that´s about it. You can add or lose stability by slicing the tree up differently ("Quartersawn", w/ Vertical rings is most stable), but you also change the figure by cutting at different angles.

Again, I´d go for one piece figured and graphite rods [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

I wouldn't say they are going to warp ..and you can't equate it to wood strength .. it's stabilty with humidity that is the factor. Quarter sawn necks tend to to better in less stable enviroments than figured woods. For example here in N.E my birdseye necks move a bit every spring and fall my quartersawn don't (or not as much). It's no big deal because a slight adjustment gets them back to where they should be.. it's the nature of the wood.
      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I wonder if a figured piece may not only bend but twist as well? I think I would also go for graphite rods inserted.

Interesting that Jackson do not mention the graphite rod option on their website. I wonder how it affects tone, if at all?

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I wonder if a figured piece may not only bend but twist as well? I think I would also go for graphite rods inserted.

Interesting that Jackson do not mention the graphite rod option on their website. I wonder how it affects tone, if at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Neal Moser wrote an article on long ago on his board about necks and tone. He seemed to feel that the neck is responsible for the majority of tone because it resonates more than the body. I wouldn't be surprised and this is why different boards have such an effect translating into a difference in tones..
          Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I am not worried about slight truss rod adjustments, thats only natural. What worries me is the possibility of neck twisting or warping. Thats what I want to know. Now I am assuming that Jackson wouldnt offer figured woods as a neck wood if it was going to be a problem??...?.....? anyway, I just want to know about the neck warping/twisting issue. thats what worries me.....

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              I am not worried about slight truss rod adjustments, thats only natural. What worries me is the possibility of neck twisting or warping. Thats what I want to know. Now I am assuming that Jackson wouldnt offer figured woods as a neck wood if it was going to be a problem??...?.....? anyway, I just want to know about the neck warping/twisting issue. thats what worries me.....

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume that if carbon rods prevent a neck from bending under normal conditions as evidenced by people saying that they hardly budge at all, then it should not warp or twist either.

Anyway, I am convinced to request graphite rods for my custom. I don't think there is much more you can do without making the whole neck graphite or something.

Comment

I've just ordered a custom with a figured neck and that will have graphite rods installed...Mike Kotzen apparently reckoned that the rods will increase sustain as well, which can only be a good thing!
                I'd have thought that Jackson should automatically include graphite rods on figured necks if the customer is not going for a 3 piece - they have to limited lifetime warranty the guitar after all!
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

OK, heres a REAL dumb question....

Are the graphite Rods installed IN ADDITION to the standard truss rod? If so, that cant leave much room, they must have to route a shit load of wood out of the neck. How can that be good?
                  Or are the graphite rods put in place of the truss rod? If so, how do you adjust the neck then?

SOrry to be so dumb on this, but I dont know anything about those graphite rods....Please explain [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

they go along each side of the truss rod.
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Wow, so that must require quite a bit of wood to be routed out to fit two graphite rods in there... How big in diameter are the rods usually?

Now, I checked with a jackson rep on this, and he said they may want to look into double truss rods on the 12 string neck only.... SO whats the deal with that?? I have never encountered a double truss rod.... anyone have any experience with them?? He didnt really comment on the graphite rods idea.....he said he would talk to the custom shop guys about it.

So what you guys think???

Comment

Tonemonster, the only guitar I can think of off the top of my head that has the graphite rods stock is a USA Peavey Wolfgang....those have unfinished birdseye maple necks so it is a pretty smart idea. You see lots of high-end basses with two truss rods (Ken Smith, etc...) too. Other options could be having a 3-piece neck with opposing grains like Hamer makes (which might cause your neck to look like shit if it's unfinished), or something like that. Good luck!

Comment

I don't think that a three piece flamed neck would look bad. This NAMM soloist made my decision to go with a three piece flame maple neck for my custom shop order. Of course this is a 7 piece neck, but the point is, on a three piece, with the center piece having the grain go the opposite direction, it would look pretty damn cool if you ask me. I guess it's just a matter of opinion though. (my neck will be oiled with no graphite rods BTW)

If you go with one piece figured necks, I'd go with the graphite rods. For the amount your going to spend, it's only going to be $500 more to put your mind at ease.
                          "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

I have a 3 piece on a different guitar I can try and get pictures of.. it makes for a pretty rigid neck

Comment

well, this is all very helpful information!! I appreciate all the info on this. Any additional info is welcome! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X