need extra springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need extra springs?

OK here's the deal: I only have one guitar (with a floyd) and i want to tune it to D. I already bought 11s to put on, but before I start I would like to know if I'll need more than 3 springs? I currently have 10s with 3 springs and the springs are almost at their max stretch.

I have no experience in this so I would like to be sure before I **** up and can't play for a few days because I have to wait until I find time to buy more sprimgs.

Re: need extra springs?

i use 11's and tune to d, it'll work fine if you use the spring alignment that alexi and roope from bodom use, two springs on the high side going straight, and one angled on the bass side from the farthest hold on the bottom of the trem towards the treble side.

Comment

11s should work fine w/3 springs if you have the middle sporing going straight, and the 2 outer ones in the outside holes of the trem and in the inside hooks of the claw. In fact, tuned to d it may even work fine with the standard "3 straight" setup.

If you have soft spprings, you may need a fourth. But if they´re that soft, then they shouldn´t really be on a Floyd anyway, but on a Vintage trem [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

OK thanks! I just have the springs that came on standard on my ibanez. I'll first try the half-V shape and than the full V if there are any problems. Thanks afor the advice!

Comment

3 springs straight across with 10's tuned in D works fine here, and i find that i can even tune up to standard and just add a 4th spring and it keeps the bridge perfectly balanced [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

As for what pattern you put them in, it just varies in the "stiffness" of the trem.
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

If you do need extra springs, make sure you get springs with the same length! I didn't know there were different lengths at first. I was quite astonished. Or, at least balance the different springs symmetrically in the trem cavity if need be.

Comment

I use 11s and I have 3 springs and no problems.

Comment

Ok good tip, I just found out I use different lengths, going to change that. If I need to adjust the intonation, do I just remove the screws on the bridge and move them in the right way? And what do you guys put under your trem when changing strings?

Comment

yeh, u just loosen the intonation screws and slide the saddles towards or away from the bridge accordingly...the floyd rose site has good tips on how to do this.

Comment

shit! just saw your other question, err i use a 9V battery wrapped in electrical tape, jus slide it in on it side so you got the terminals facing you like this (excuse the shitty notepad drawing lol), yeh, just dive bomb with ur trem, then put the battery under so the trems at like 45 degrees from the body, good luck dude

-----
                    |(-)|
                    |    |
                    |(+)|
                    -----

Comment

OK thanks man! I might try something thinner than a 9v battery, it's a recessed floyd or whatever they call it.

Comment

On my ps2 an eraser works fine.... you know those white ones that have a blue cardboard thing around them......
                        "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                        The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Ok Thanks everyone it worked out fine! I used five pencils packed in tape to put under the trem. I also put my emg 81 back in the bridge so I am definitely ready to rock on some CoB songs [img]/images/graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X