REFINNING QUESTIONS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REFINNING QUESTIONS

I'm sure this is probably talked about throughout the QA section here but after an hour of searching, didn't find anything. I had a guitar refinned and will be having another done soon. A body shop friend of mine did the other one and will do this one as well. He used several different materials including Bondo and fiberglass resin in the cavities and even after letting it sit and adding more, etc, the stuff still shrank. It's hard to see unless in a certain light but you can see it nevertheless. Does anyone have any ideas? He is kind of at a loss in what to use and I would prefer my next fiddle to look better. Bondo and fiberglass resin isn't exactly the best stuff for wood working I know so if anyone has any ideas, they would greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img]

Re: REFINNING QUESTIONS

Email mm2002(Mark).... He is a restoration guy and does excellent work. Do a search for Budmans Pink Charvel Model 5A that used to be a Model 6, I think. Mark will be able to get you in the right direction.

Comment

You have to tell the search to go back more than just the past week (seriously, that is the default) and you should find tons of stuff, great tips and pointers.

Oh, and you have to post pictures. It is a rule. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Keith
      The JCF-er Formerly Known as axtogrind.

myspace.com/boogieblockmusic

Comment

The trick I last tried was putting a thin coat of polyester glaze over the top of the guitar after all the cavities were filled. I blocked the glaze out with 400 grit wet and then applied the polyester primer. So far I think it still looks good (you'll have to ask Budman). I think it's been 4 or 5 months now. If it's starting to show up then it's back to the drawing board on this one!
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

<font color="aqua">well, I was going to wait a good 6 months to do a report on the finish but since you brought it up, mm2002, it looks just like it did when it arrived. So far it seems to be a great process to use and I guess only time will really tell. </font>
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

fiberglass resin has always worked very well for me.... ??? never shrank, well not enough that it would show through a few coats of paint.
            "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
            The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give that info (polyester glaze) to the bodyshop guy and see what he says!! Appreciate the insight!!

Comment

Working...
              X